New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Raw Vegan brewing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #181
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
...The lady who makes a show out of wrinkling her nose at the salad I'm eating at lunch (which isn't THAT often for gods sake) always fat....
My wife was actually surprised at how few salads I ate when she first met me. I prefer something like steamed veggies (mushrooms and brussel sprouts are nice!) along with beans and some kind of whole grain (quinoa, amaranth, brown rice).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #182
bottlebomber
I FWH my IPAs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2599 Times on 2046 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas

Well I was berated for using my experience as a device for simply sharing my thoughts on the topic earlier in this thread. I won't do the same to you, because I understand where you're coming from. While I love meat, and eat it daily, I am healthy, perhaps even low in weight. I do, however understand what you mean. Working in an office full of obese people has terrible qualities. I also get the "must be nice to be skinny" comments from overweight coworkers while I eat a burger or tacos, and then proceed to witness these same people consume the same, only in LARGER portions! It all comes down to this, though... Not everyone acts that way.
Well, you did kind of say that you feel hostile toward every vegan you've met. That was on you. I agree that plenty of vegans are real douchey, particularly the new converts. If you are keeping your body in good shape you get a tip of the hat from me regardless of what your diet is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte

My wife was actually surprised at how few salads I ate when she first met me. I prefer something like steamed veggies (mushrooms and brussel sprouts are nice!) along with beans and some kind of whole grain (quinoa, amaranth, brown rice).
I've been eating more lately, but never been a salad guy. Lots of beans and whole grains. Lots of tofu. I've got some awesome tofu recipes if anyone is interested

Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #183
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
I've been eating more lately, but never been a salad guy. Lots of beans and whole grains. Lots of tofu. I've got some awesome tofu recipes if anyone is interested
Yes, please. I've got ~7lbs of tofu in the fridge (Costco has it cheap, so we buy in bulk).

Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #184
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I can't stand tofu. I always figured I just didn't like the taste until talking to a vegetarian friend who said I may have an uncommon receptor, and that is why tofu tastes like dirt to me. I guess some people have the same thing with broccoli, if they have the receptor then broccoli is super bitter to them.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #185
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Well, you did kind of say that you feel hostile toward every vegan you've met. That was on you. I agree that plenty of vegans are real douchey, particularly the new converts. If you are keeping your body in good shape you get a tip of the hat from me regardless of what your diet is.

Ughh... I need to stop following this thread. I said that because it's true. How is that bad? You painting every meat eater as fat is pretty bad. I wasn't saying every vegan was a jerk. Just all those that I have met. I really don't care anymore.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #186
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
I can't stand tofu. I always figured I just didn't like the taste until talking to a vegetarian friend who said I may have an uncommon receptor, and that is why tofu tastes like dirt to me. I guess some people have the same thing with broccoli, if they have the receptor then broccoli is super bitter to them.
Yeah, that's definitely odd, since it basically doesn't have any taste unless you add something else to it via marinade or what not.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #187
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Ughh... I need to stop following this thread. I said that because it's true. How is that bad? You painting every meat eater as fat is pretty bad. I wasn't saying every vegan was a jerk. Just all those that I have met. I really don't care anymore.
I think it came across as bad because bringing it up in this kind of thread makes it come across as you painting all vegans as jerks--seemingly adding to the circle-jerk of other comments (like "I'm going to go eat some veal!").

Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #188
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1197 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Bottlebomber is one of the more articulate people I know, so I hesitate to speak on his behalf, but:

Just to be clear, bottlebomber is making claims about people who ridicule him for being a vegetarian, not meat eaters. That's an important distinction in this context.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #189
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Bottlebomber is one of the more articulate people I know, so I hesitate to speak on his behalf, but:

Just to be clear, bottlebomber is making claims about people who ridicule him for being a vegetarian, not meat eaters. That's an important distinction in this context.
Perhaps you missed this post:

Quote:
It may be a little low, especially considering how self conscious people are about their bodies. And I apologize for any hurt feelings. However I will say that out of the thousands of times I've been ridiculed for my diet throughout my life, it had never been by a healthy-figured carnivore. And I know it's because they are projecting/venting their dissatisfaction with how they feel with themselves as a result of their own poor choices on me. The guy who walks up to me at the barbecue with a stick on a plate, always fat. The lady who makes a show out of wrinkling her nose at the salad I'm eating at lunch (which isn't THAT often for gods sake) always fat. So forgive me if I'M a little jaded. It's wasn't easy growing up this way in a redneck community I assure you.
And how exactly does he KNOW this?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #190
Devin
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
He's out of his mind. I've didn't have as much as a Slim Jim growing up and I'm 6'6" and 245 lbs. No apparent lack of nourishment there.
Good for you. I am guessing that your family is fairly big, also? Most of my family are very tall. I am 6'8" and some change and run around 210 during running season and about 220 during the off-season. Do I attribute that to my diet? No. I attribute it to the fact that my family members before me were/are very tall. Average height for the ladies runs around 6'2" or so, and average for the guys is around 6'5" or so.

I think that it is funny that you keep insinuating that meat-eaters tend to be fat (yes, you do insert the word "usually", but still). I actually don't know many vegetarians, and no vegans. Of the few vegetarians that I do know, over half of them I would consider to be a bit "chubby". Eating right is part of it. Another big part, IMO, is exercise. Even if you are only consuming veggies, but still wolf down massive amounts of calories and don't do anything but sit on the couch and watch TV, you are probably going to gain some weight.

Quote:
What does meat provide that a vegetarian diet does not?
Taste.

Everything aside, I truly do love vegetarians and vegans. Means more meat for me.

Quick Reply