Quick Question: No Bung = Aluminum Foil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
Hi, I know many of you use Aluminum Foil when you have no bung available. My question is, how tightly should I wrap the opening of the carboy with foil?

I'm concerned that the fermentation will blow a hole in the aluminum. SO, how will the co2 be expelled when ferm begins? I will brew today and then be out of town for a week and have no access to my LHBS.

help, I need to get this Gumballhead going! :ban:

I just press it down in a couple spots so that it will "lock" onto the lip of the opening. I make sure that there are decent holes so that co2 can escape and it doesn't blow the foil off. The big thing is to make sure that anything what would be falling down into your wort won't make it in. I make all of my starters this way.

Unless you clamp it or seal with duct tape or something it will not be able to pressurize enough to blow through the foil. I would just mold it over the opening. If your krausen comes to the top maybe a rubber band to hold it on.

I would just set up a blow off tube and be done with it. But I usually only use a blow off tube for the duration of the fermentation.

If you are leaving a fermentation for a week with no one to check on it or clean it up I would definitely use a blow off tube

Back