Question about double pitching.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a bad batch of yeast with my last extract kit. I waited a 1.5 days before pitching again. This is one of my smaller batches at 2 gallons. At the 2nd pitching all I had was a nottingham ale yeast. This was an extra packet leftover from my last 5 gal extract kit.

Do you think is any risk of yeast bite with all the extra dead yeast?

I don't plan to go to a secondary on this one. Just the primary 10-14 days.

I don't think you should have any problems, but I'm not convinced that your original yeast was bad. I have waited as many as three days before krausen was evident. You should learn the lesson I did from similar experiences:make a yeast starter. You'll have activity in a matter of hours, not days. Cheers.

Don't worry about the yeast. In any wort the yeast go through a growth phase first. They double in numbers every two hours. This means in 24 hours you have 4000 times as many cells as you pitched. That's why starters are such a good idea (not that I do them very often).

Back