Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Putting SWMBO on beer regimen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #21
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Just to be clear I don't want to convert her, because if people are happy with a BCM beer and are satisfied very inexpensively, more power to them. She just want to explore and see if she likes anything that her and I could relate to.

We are both the same way with wines. I hate it, she says she likes it, but only ever gets sutter home White Zinfedel. We both want to try wines so my local beer/wine shop has free beer and wine tasting every week

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #22
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I don't know.... I can't think of any summer ale that has LESS flavor than a Newcastles.

I literally CANNOT taste that beer.
Seriously? What temperature are you drinking it at? I always let mine sit for at least 5 minutes (usually more like 10) before I enjoy. Much malty goodness

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #23
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I don't know.... I can't think of any summer ale that has LESS flavor than a Newcastles.

I literally CANNOT taste that beer.
Really? Something is not right there. When served at 50 or so, the beer is plenty malty in stark contrast to BL...

Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #24
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3077 Times on 1936 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
But she loves blue moon...
There's your answer.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #25
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Have her taste some ingredients and brew a beer she thinks she'd like.

Marbles baby, marbles.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #26
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
Funny you should say that, my sister who hates beer LOVES a specific fruity lambic ale
Good point. If all else fails, there's always lindemans.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #27
pd230soi
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make a run down to McLean, VA to that Total Beverage or whatever it is and build yourself a full cart o' beer!

I head over there with my two boys and let them pick my commercial beer based on the labels (one or two). They have fun and I sometimes try something I might not have.

Besides if you buy the bombers it lets you build up your bottle supply!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 AM   #28
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd230soi View Post
Make a run down to McLean, VA to that Total Beverage or whatever it is and build yourself a full cart o' beer!

I head over there with my two boys and let them pick my commercial beer based on the labels (one or two). They have fun and I sometimes try something I might not have.

Besides if you buy the bombers it lets you build up your bottle supply!
Ya I go to total wine in chantilly. They have a decent selection at ok prices but my problem with those places is they carry so many beers in artistically adorned bottles that taste piss poor that I want to have a few brew in mind when going in.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #29
lackey2000
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Your going down and bad road my friend.

The only beer my wife used to drink was an occasional Blue Moon. Little did I know how good I had it then.

About 8 months ago she developed a taste for my IPAs. Now our liquor costs doubled because she keep drinking my beers!

Me looking in fridge, "Hey! Where did that last IPA go?!"
Wife, "Oh, I guess I'm drinking that. That was the last one? There's a bunch of Blue Moon in there, why don't you have one of those."

edit: btw, this is the second time I've posted this and people must think I'm joking but I'm really not. My wife really has started drinking my IPAs and it truly is not very funny. If you look in my fridge right now you'll find a bunch of wits made by Avery and Shiner Blonds which all were bought for the wife. They've been in there for almost a month. And my IPAs? Long gone.

killed: IPA 'lite', Kölsh
current setup: under review

Last edited by lackey2000; 07-29-2010 at 04:06 AM.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #30
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why the BMC bashing...

You have stumbled upon a hobby (and subsequently a forum) that prides itself on quality products, made from quality ingredients, that expands people's palates.

By design, BMC products use cheap ingredients (corn and rice), which results in a product that is designed to be lacking in taste. Now, to be fair, I am not against a BL or a Coors out of a cooler on an outing to the beach - as you said, BMC does have its place (although it is a very small place).

The single biggest sore spot is the public perception that these mega-beers are the pinnacle of quality. By all measurables of anybody who studies beer, these are sub-standard products. But because of marketing budgets and strangleholds on distribution, people see these beers as what beer should taste like (which is ironic due to them largely lacking in taste) and all other beers as lacking.

Brewing is like a religion. By truly undertaking it, you charged with trying to show the path of truth to people (i.e. beer is supposed to have taste and character). If you just want to get lit up, by all means, bring on the Bud and Mickey's and go to town. But if you are somebody who wants to drink for enjoyment...

There are people in Kenya who live in huts and have food, and as they've never known anything else, are satisfied. Does that mean you shouldn't show them a better option (AC, running water, and HD TV) if you could give it to them?

Sorry for the soapbox. You just asked a question I felt deserved an answer. I agree the snobbery goes too far a lot of the time. But the sentiment really is shared througout homebrewer-dom.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Quick Reply