Possible headed to San Fran Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyman1000

Reaction score
Looks like my job will be taking me to San Rafael for at least 3 months (starting on Feb 23rd). I would like some good suggestions on breweries and brewpubs in the area and any good home brew shops. Thanks for the help. :mug:

Sounds like you know about this trip enough in advance to get on the Anchor Steam brewery tour wait list. It's a free tour, but you usually have to book at least six weeks in advance! (Which is why I haven't done the thing yet, but I've heard the stories of how great of a tour it is!)

As for other breweries, this is a pretty beer-obsessed area. You're just missing beer week by a few days! Anyway, Lagunitas, Russian River, and Bear Republic are all in the North Bay and are probably painfully obvious suggestions. Definitely also check out Drake's in San Leandro while you're over here, and I'm personally fond of Devil's Canyon in San Carlos (tasting room only open on weekends) and Cellarmaker in San Francisco. 21st Amendment is also worth a trip, though don't go on a night when there's local sports happening if you want to stand a chance of getting a seat.

I don't know about homebrew shops in Marin, but Oak Barrel in Berkeley and Brewcraft in San Francisco are both great, in my admittedly newbie-ish experience.

Thanks for the tips. It will depend if we can find a rental within reason. Man that place is crazy expensive!!!

Obvious bar recommendations like Toronado in SF, Trappist and Beerevolution in Oakland. Definitely visit Russian River, Rare Barrel, St Adairius, Bear Republic.

Looks like my job will be taking me to San Rafael for at least 3 months (starting on Feb 23rd). I would like some good suggestions on breweries and brewpubs in the area and any good home brew shops. Thanks for the help. :mug:

Right in downtown San Rafael is Pizzeria Orgasmica. They have one of my favorite IPAs. And some pretty good food. Up the road in Fairfax is Iron Springs Brewpub.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions!! Still working on the contract but hopefully will know something soon.

Faction is in Alameda (east bay) and its right next to St. Georges Spirits which is an amazing distillery. Plus its right on the bay and on a clear day you can see SF across the bay.

It would be a bit of a trek from Marin but for a home brew store "More Beer" is in Concord. It was a huge mail order business 15+ years ago. I imagine going into the retail store if they have one would be like being a kid in the candy store.

People def nailed much of what I would suggest. But here's my $.02

Cellarmaker and Faction top my list. As far as good bars go - City Beer Store and Toronado, though they are polar opposites. And in the east bay The Trappist (and provisions) are rad.

In the SR area are Marin Brewing Company in Larkspur and Moylan's in Novato, both owned by the same people. Been making beer for probly 20 years now and range from great to ho-hum. Iron Springs def gets an upvote from me as well. A real sleeper place is Mill Valley Beerworks/Fort Point Brewing, one of my newer favorite places especially if you're hungry, great kitchen.

Since I left the Bay Area a bunch has opened that I've heard about but have no personal experience. As people mentioned a Hopmonk opened not far from Moylan's. Beltane brewing is also in Novato.

And downtown San Rafael has great food. Amazing sushi all over and great Mexican food as well. The place with the line out the door is Sol Food but I never got to go. (Spent 17 years in SanRafael, 7 in SF and 3 on the peninsula)

Have fun!

Wow, 3 months....you may just get tired of NorCal beers. +1 on Rare Barrel and Drakes. Make sure you make the trip to Russian River. If you have extra time and feel like a road trip, get in a car and head south to Firestone. The brewery is awesome and their production line is pretty mind blowing to see. Unfortunately, their Barrelworks is another few hours south but they have alot of non-released sours and BA stuff.

Well, we finally found a rental, sort of in budget. We should be there this Saturday. Thank you all for the suggestions. Someone else mentioned the pelican inn for more British style beers but not sure we trust her recommendations ( semi crazy person we met while apt hunting ).

Couldn't vouch for the beers at the Pelican Inn, but it is a really nice place to visit, along with the rest of West Marin.

As for British Style beers- Freewheel Brewing Company in Redwood City owns it. 100% real ale. You can also find their beers on engines around the bay. Mikeller Bar SF, Hog's Apothecary in the EB, and Tononado in SF as well. +More.

The Pelican tries a bit too hard to be a little piece of Olde England for my (old Englishman's) taste, but its right next to Muir Beach and down the road from Muir Woods so there's an obvious day out to be had.

Where did you end up renting?

We found a 500sq ft studio in San Anselmo. Move in on Saturday. More than I have ever paid for rent so the drinking budget is going to take a hit.

went to Toronado today and had an English IPA from Freewheelin brewery. Thanks for the recommendations for those two, very nice pub and very nice beer.:mug:

Welcome to the area! I'd definitely second Iron Springs, Marin Brew Co, Moylan's, Beltane, and Pizza Orgasmica. If you go to Lagunitas, walk across the street to Petaluma Hills too. They're awesome.

LHBS-wise, J&M is in southern Novato and those guys are great. It's the only place I'll go!

[emoji482]

I have definitely been liking J & M. Great brew shop. Headed to Oakland and or Berkeley tomorrow. Iron Springs is walking distance from the apt so that has been nice. The Gestalt House in Fairfax has been a favorite so far too.

Lucky you! Both those places are awesome.
Rare Barrel is in Berkeley, as well as Pacific Coast and Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Room. Lots of good stuff in the East Bay!

Back