Poor decision... place your bets.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlaw3000

Reaction score
So... did a brown ale kit from my LHBS yesterday... pitched the (wyeast 1098) @66* around 6pm last night... this morning it already had about an inch of krausen. 6 gal carboy, 3 piece airlock. 5 gal batch.

Meant to put on my blow-off hose before I left for work this morning... but did not. Lets hear some bets on what I come home to!

I bet it will be foaming out the airlock when I get back... but no explosion :)

Foaming airlock. If it's not a highly hopped beer there is usually not enough gunk available to clog an airlock sufficiently for an explosion. :)

it'll be 24 hours from pitching when you return to it. you're keeping it relatively cool (66*F). methinks you'll be ok. maybe a little beer in the airlock (AKA nothing to worry about).

2 variables that would make me change my answer:
- what was the OG?
- did you make a starter? how big? did you pitch the correct number of cells, more, or less?

it'll be 24 hours from pitching when you return to it. you're keeping it relatively cool (66*F). methinks you'll be ok. maybe a little beer in the airlock (AKA nothing to worry about).

2 variables that would make me change my answer:
- what was the OG?
- did you make a starter? how big? did you pitch the correct number of cells, more, or less?

Pshh that takes all the fun away!

1.050 OG
No starter but hella fresh smack pack that went for 6 hours before pitching.
(Same yeast, porter with same OG had blowoff last time whiten 24 )
Correct number of cells... probably a bit low but close enough.

Still taking bets!

sweetcell said:

+1 to all OK

So we have 3 for foaming airlock, 1 for just to the neck, 2 for totally OK.

(Well... any option is really OK but heck)

Who is going to shoot the moon and call an explosion... any takers?

just reconfirming my vote for "OK". 1.050 isn't huge, so there is only so much fuel in there for the yeasties to go nuts on. had this been 1.080+ with a proper pitch... stand back!

just reconfirming my vote for "OK". 1.050 isn't huge, so there is only so much fuel in there for the yeasties to go nuts on. had this been 1.080+ with a proper pitch... stand back!

whew... may have dodged a bullet on my laziness! consider it confirmed... there will be an epic prize for the winners.

I just did this with a stout. I like the sound it makes when the bung and air lock hits the cilling. You have to smash the bung in the better bottle to get that kind of distance.

Too bad I wont be home if it does... wait though... if a carboy explodes in a room with nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

Is it too late to place my bet? I say it comes within inches of the airlock but doesn't reach it.

Thank you for the participation....... Drumroll please.......

Not even close :)

My wort temp is at 65 and ambient is at 64 in my house most of the time so it's all gravy!!! And the
winner is.....

^ Hahahaha! I was strangely disappointed when income home to complete normalcy!

We were all secretly hoping you were cleaning krausen off your walls! muahahahahahaha! :p

Your prize = a (^ x2) to any one comment or assertion you post ever! Deal?

Latest posts

Back