Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Photos and Insider's Look at a Beer Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1002 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 2073

Default Photos and Insider's Look at a Beer Competition

I judged at a competition yesterday: the 22nd Annual Charlie Orr Memorial Chicago Cup. I took a few photos and wrote a brief insider's look at a beer competition here http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Th...look-at-a-beer

If anyone wants to talk about competitions, how they are run, or judging, add a post.

nukebrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2679 Times on 1593 Posts
Likes Given: 5843

I judged at a competition back in October, the Southern New England Regional Homebrew Competition, and I have to admit I did marvel at the level of coordination an organizer must have to keep track of everything. It does help to have good stewards and other support staff. As a judge I didn't really see all that much behind the scenes stuff regarding admin and organizing the entries. I definitely am excited to get my results from my tasting exam so I can do some ranked judging of my own. Nice write up and it made an interesting read.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I just entered 5 beers to be judged (first competition!) in the http://alamocitycervezafest.org/ and they posted there would be multiple different judging days over the course of a couple weeks. Is this standard procedure?

Thanks for the insight as I was actually just thinking of asking exactly how a judging a competition breaks down!

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcrew02 View Post
I just entered 5 beers to be judged (first competition!) in the http://alamocitycervezafest.org/ and they posted there would be multiple different judging days over the course of a couple weeks. Is this standard procedure?

Thanks for the insight as I was actually just thinking of asking exactly how a judging a competition breaks down!
At the Chicago Cup, we had an evening judging session for meads and ciders earlier in the week in addition to all day Saturday, with two sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
sneeron
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice write up-- That was the first competition I ever entered and I was amazed at all the work and planning that took place. By the way, the guy sitting between use at dinner(can't remember his name just that he was wearing his jacket and winter hat because he was freezing, which should of tipped me off to move seats) gave me his cold.
Cheers Kevin!!!

Cheers Kevin!!!
If bacon is an option,I put bacon on it.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Excellent post and write up Pappers. The amount of work that goes into organizing a competition is crazy! I've only ever judged, but having everything organized and ready to go ensures that we can focus on the beers at hand and get out at a decent hour! I hope this encourages more people to volunteer at their local competitions. I really enjoyed talking with our stewards and asking them their opinions about the beers after we had judged them.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4924 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 992

Competitions are fun- but a lot of work too! Thanks for the photo.

I was going to judge at the first round of the NHC at the end of this month in Milwaukee, but it turns out that Saturday is my daughter's baby shower. I don't think I can get out of that for beer!

Judging is fun, and it really helps develop your palate. I really liked when I did the first few comps that I was paired with a very experienced judge and that taught me so much.

Organizing a competition is a huge undertaking- and that's why I said "never again!" after the last one. But I think I'm ready to organize another one after this crazy summer is over. Maybe Pappers, you can come judge?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 117

i just judged and entered my first competition this last weekend. It was smaller as it was only British beer styles. I helped judge the stouts with two bjcp judges. That helped a lot.

My robust porter took third behind a Baltic porter and a brown porter. Both the brewers are bjcp judges and have been brewing way longer than myself. So i'm pretty proud of grabbing a 3rd place in my first competition.

very nice write up!

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Competitions are fun- but a lot of work too! Thanks for the photo.

I was going to judge at the first round of the NHC at the end of this month in Milwaukee, but it turns out that Saturday is my daughter's baby shower. I don't think I can get out of that for beer!

Judging is fun, and it really helps develop your palate. I really liked when I did the first few comps that I was paired with a very experienced judge and that taught me so much.

Organizing a competition is a huge undertaking- and that's why I said "never again!" after the last one. But I think I'm ready to organize another one after this crazy summer is over. Maybe Pappers, you can come judge?
I'll come judge!

The NHC judging in Milwaukee is April 16th I think - Nancy and I are going up on Friday with a couple, having dinner, spending the night the off to judge. I really hope that isn't the same day as the baby shower so you can join us!

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeron View Post
Nice write up-- That was the first competition I ever entered and I was amazed at all the work and planning that took place. By the way, the guy sitting between use at dinner(can't remember his name just that he was wearing his jacket and winter hat because he was freezing, which should of tipped me off to move seats) gave me his cold.
Cheers Kevin!!!
Kevin! Its cool when real life and online friends match up!

I didn't know that guy, sorry you're sick. Nancy's feeling almost normal now but couldn't come to the dinner because of a really bad cold.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply