The Perfect Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
55 might be ok for big malt bombs that you want to age, but colder is better for preserving delicate beers.

Ales for drinking. Summer Ale now, American Pale Ale soon. No conditioning. Looking for the ideal drinking temperature. Is "cold" good enough? What is "cold"? Seems like there ought to be some precise guidelines out there.

I've found that when my homebrewing friends/coworkers get together for blind tastings the beers we always vote to be the best are the ones that are coldest. That being said I will agree with Trub. Set it the way you like it and go. But do keep in mind if you are serving the beer to the average BMC drinker you'll probably get a better reaction if the beer is ice cold. Screw those guys anyway though. :)

Anyway, to answer the question...

IMO, 40 degrees is a good starting point. But remember, the colder the setting, the more the bitterness will be accentuated. The warmer, more the malt flavor.

So an English Ale should be stored at @ 50 degrees.

A pilsener, cold. Like 38.

The average IPA/Pale Ale/etc - I like 42-44 degrees to balance the heavy hops.

Of course you've only got one fridge, so set it cold, and know to wait for certain beers to warm up before you drink them.

Anyway, to answer the question...

IMO, 40 degrees is a good starting point. But remember, the colder the setting, the more the bitterness will be accentuated. The warmer, more the malt flavor.

So an English Ale should be stored at @ 50 degrees.

A pilsener, cold. Like 38.

The average IPA/Pale Ale/etc - I like 42-44 degrees to balance the heavy hops.

Of course you've only got one fridge, so set it cold, and know to wait for certain beers to warm up before you drink them.

Absolutely right on! I started drinking the first few bottles out of my new set up, apparently at 40 F (uncalibrated thermometer). The summer ale is much, MUCH better tasting than the colder temps I had drunk the first few bottles at, probably 35 F or so. The beer kit instructions should also tell you the optimum drinking temperature. The cooler temperature had a very bitter after taste that is much more tame at the higher temperature.

My plan of action is thus: drink beer at the highest temperature I can bear. I admit conditioning to drink beer at colder temps, though.

Latest posts

Back