Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oops -- All trub into fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Norselord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Oops -- All trub into fermenter

Hectic brewday leads to distraction.

The preggonaut and the 20-month old proved to occupy me during my brew. Got grains steeped at the right temp and for the right duration, got DME and LME into boil without boilover, got hops in on schedule, got kettle cooled quickly...

...when it came time to rack to primary...

...i dumped the entire kettle without thinking, all of my trub went right in

I plan on racking to secondary after 5-6 days in primary, which should help clarity a little.

---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 4.7 SRM SRM RANGE: 3.0-6.0 SRM
IBU: 19.0 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 15.0-28.0 IBUs
OG: 1.055 SG OG RANGE: 1.038-1.054 SG
FG: 1.010 SG FG RANGE: 1.008-1.013 SG
BU:GU: 0.344 Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 5.9 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 5.00 gal Boil: 2.30 gal BT: 60 Mins

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 28.6 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.5 %

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.105 SG Est OG: 1.055 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 28.6 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 4 23.8 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 5 17.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 1.8 IBUs

S.G. ended up being 1.061

Anything i can do to save this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, don't rack after 6 days. It won't make a difference that that stuff is in there.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Never had a problem with trub going into the fermenter. 3-4 weeks and it's all settled to the bottom with clear beer above it. If it still looks a little cloudy, a couple of days cold crash finishes it well enough for me.

bosco

Old 04-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

So?

That's really one of those things that is a matter of personal preference and nothing else. Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

A whirlpool helps.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

I find that long primaries render my beer just as clear, and crisp tasting regardless of whether I dumped it all in or not....so I just do what works for me.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

ZERO issues with the trub going into the fermenter. The trub actually contains proteins that improve yeast health.

I always put everything into the fermenter, and end up with consistently clear, clean beer.

I just:

1) Whirfloc in the boil
2) Rack carefully off the trub into the keg
3) Allow time in the keg for everything to settle, and pull it out in the first draw.

That's it!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Norselord
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaramie08 View Post
Yes, don't rack after 6 days. It won't make a difference that that stuff is in there.
Are you saying don't rack to secondary? not sure if i understand why NOT to do that.

As you can see from the recipe this beer is trying ery hard to be not too hoppy, won't sitting on a bunch of hop residue for the full extent of fermentation work against this?

Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norselord View Post
Are you saying don't rack to secondary? not sure if i understand why NOT to do that.

As you can see from the recipe this beer is trying ery hard to be not too hoppy, won't sitting on a bunch of hop residue for the full extent of fermentation work against this?
This is the most asked and discussed topic on here, on a daily basis there are 5 or six treads on this.

This discussion has been thoroughly covered in this thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Many of us skip secondary and leave our beers in primary for a month...we think it IMPROVES our beer.

"Spent" hops won't do anything.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

LovesIPA Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Norselord
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
This is the most asked and discussed topic on here, on a daily basis there are 5 or six treads on this.

This discussion has been thoroughly covered in this thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Many of us skip secondary and leave our beers in primary for a month...we think it IMPROVES our beer.

"Spent" hops won't do anything.
So, dlaramie08 wasn't providing a solution to the specific problem I requested assistance with, merely providing a personal preference?

I appreciate all the feedback, I will likely rack to secondary after 6 days anyway, just to free up the primary and get the beer off of the solids. This is my opinion and personal preference.

Thanks again for your prompt responses.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
So, dlaramie08 wasn't providing a solution to the specific problem I requested assistance with, merely providing a personal preference?

I appreciate all the feedback, I will likely rack to secondary after 6 days anyway, just to free up the primary and get the beer off of the solids. This is my opinion and personal preference.

How do you know you're beer's going to be done in 6 days? Rarely is a beer done in that little time, especially if the yeast took up to three days to re-produce (lag time) as shown in the sticky entitled "Fermentation can take between 24 and 72 hours..."

Even if you rack to a secondary, to clear the beer it's a good idea to leave the beer in primary for a few more days so the yeast can clean up after themselves.....I recommend folks take their first gravity reading on day 10 or 12, and second one 2 days later, and rack around day 14. This leaves a few days of yeast contact to let the yeast clean up after itself.

To me, six days is plain too soon.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

What he is saying, is that there is no issue sitting on the solids. The hop oil all comes out in the heat of the wort, so it won't make your beer more hoppy. Even dry hopping doesn't make the beer more bitter, it will only add flavor and aroma, but the hops in your kettle have already released all they are going to release.

If you want to rack, go ahead and knock yourself out. But racking won't help the beer clear, won't prevent any off flavors, and gives you one more chance of infection or oxidation.

Clean and sanitize everything well, and be careful to not splash the beer, and racking won't cause you any issues either, other than having to clean up more stuff.

Quick Reply