Not sure if I am venting or looking for advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdp

Reaction score
the other part of california. Pines, not palms
Okay, here's the dihlema. My Little brother is going to be out in about 4 weeks after yet another 18 month vacation Iraq. He has heard a lot of positive reviews about the beer I have been making for the past year, and made a request for a kristall weiss. I have no problem making one, but I just don't think I have time. Even if I ordered it today, it takes about a week to get it. Then two in fermentation at least, I don't have any kegs that will be empty by then so that means bottle conditioning. There is another 3 weeks. I just can't see it being ready by the time he leaves.

Any Ideas will be appreciated. As of now, it looks like if he isn't happy with what I have made up and ready, he gets keystone ice as punishment for giving me such short notice.

It may just take a few weeks to finish after he gets back. It would be an awesome thing to do for him. Make it, and both of you can enjoy the beer and catch up again!

Okay, here's the dihlema. My Little brother is going to be out in about 4 weeks after yet another 18 month vacation Iraq. He has heard a lot of positive reviews about the beer I have been making for the past year, and made a request for a kristall weiss. I have no problem making one, but I just don't think I have time. Even if I ordered it today, it takes about a week to get it. Then two in fermentation at least, I don't have any kegs that will be empty by then so that means bottle conditioning. There is another 3 weeks. I just can't see it being ready by the time he leaves.

Any Ideas will be appreciated. As of now, it looks like if he isn't happy with what I have made up and ready, he gets keystone ice as punishment for giving me such short notice.

Here's a plan ... Order your ingredients and a keg tonight, have them over nighted to you. I didn't say it was going to be a cheap plan, but it is a plan that will give a hero some beer that he wants. No matter what beer you wind up giving him, give him a hearty handshake and tell him that I am proud as hell of him.

Sounds like you should have a few friends over to kill off whichever keg is the lowest so you have an open one for your brothers request.

I don't know where you normally order from, but maybe one of the SF Bay companies, like More Beer or Williams can get it to you faster. Williams typically does next day for pre-fab kits. Alternately, a Kolsh or something faster.

Ditto on floating a keg if possible.

What about making a hefe weissen instead? That would be ready to drink in 3 weeks. If he is stubborn about the kristal part, maybe filter it. I have made some pretty good hefes using the Safale wheat beer yeast. I will shoot you a recipe if you want.

Oh, by the way shake his hand for me too. I admire and appreciate the guys and gals who stand up and are counted. Too many are willing to let someone else carry the load for them.

He will only be out in CA for a week, so he can't really wait out a batch. I didn't really think of just polishing off one of the kegs. Even if I have to dump some out, I guess it won't be too bad. That might be the way to go. I will look for an extract recipe so I can make it the night it shows up even if it is a weeknight. He will appreciate the sentiments. Might be able to pull it off.

alternatively, you could look at it as an opportunity to pick up a new keg. but if the money's not there for that, you've got 2 weeks or so to polish off one of your full ones :tank:

I guess I just needed someone to tell me the obvious. I have a week to polish off a keg. The ingredients are on the way. I would offer some nice Irish red to anyone near tuolumne county, but I am sure I can do it once I get rid of this flu I happen to have at the moment.

If you're careful with your brewing to prevent starch haze from all that wheat you can just use gelatin or other finings to drop the yeast clear in a couple days. If you kill a keg and fine it in the keg its even simpler. You totally have enough time for this.

You could also try filling a few bottles from your emptiest keg. I've used the BMBF before to free up a keg. You might want to overcarb it a bit first to compensate for the loss at bottling.

Oh, and +1 on the handshake and many thanks to your bro.

Fortunately he requested a weiss which is intended to drink young. You can pull it off sir :).

I agree that it is possible. If you can't drink a keg in the amount of time you've got, use the BM bottle filler to empty one. I ALWAYS keg hefe's and wheat's after two weeks in the primary if I'm using a low attenuating yeast. Like said before, you're supposed to drink that yeast. If he really wants it cleared, use the gelatin, but beware if you haven't used that stuff before because it's one more thing that adds time to the brewing process. If I'm trying to turn a beer around fast, I think the rule of thumb is keep it as simple as possible.

Good luck, and tell your brother thanks from us here in Texas,
Jacob

I was planning in using gelatin, and while I still have this flu, I am sure I can polish the keg off in the ammount of time I have. like I said, I guess I just needed someone to tell me the obvious. I hadn't thought of bottling some of the keg either. I just picked up two cases of 1 liter swing tops, I think there is no issue at all. I wasn't planning on using a heffe yeast because of its poor flocculation, but I hadn't decided what yeast to use. I was thinking of a CA Common yeast since it is pretty neutral with the flavors it imparts. Any recommendations?

I was planning in using gelatin, and while I still have this flu, I am sure I can polish the keg off in the ammount of time I have. like I said, I guess I just needed someone to tell me the obvious. I hadn't thought of bottling some of the keg either. I just picked up two cases of 1 liter swing tops, I think there is no issue at all. I wasn't planning on using a heffe yeast because of its poor flocculation, but I hadn't decided what yeast to use. I was thinking of a CA Common yeast since it is pretty neutral with the flavors it imparts. Any recommendations?

I'm not sure what recipe you ordered, but if you stuck with the wheat beer, I'd say make an American wheat with a clean neutral yeast such as S-05 or Nottingham. I've made beers with a gravity around 1.050 and kegged within 10 days. Those strains love to ferment fast and drop out fast.

Shake his hand for me too! I am glad to hear he is coming back home. Heck if I was closer my wife (ex-marine) and I (ex-navy) would personally buy you the kit to make for him! I hope our returning service men and women are never treated like our vietnam vets were.

People that don't brew just don't get that it takes time. To heck with trying to scramble to get a brew together for him. Drink your keg up so it floats, then clean and sanitize it and take it to your nearest brewpub and have them fill it with whatever you want. Will cost you prolly 50 bucks or so, but at least you won't be trying to make do with green beer.

I'm not sure what recipe you ordered, but if you stuck with the wheat beer, I'd say make an American wheat with a clean neutral yeast such as S-05 or Nottingham. I've made beers with a gravity around 1.050 and kegged within 10 days. Those strains love to ferment fast and drop out fast.

I already ordered my heffe ingredients, I planned on using the Steam yeast because of the neutral flavor and the way it clears up, but I might try the nottingham. I haven't used it in a while, but now that you brought it up, I agree. It could be perfect.

People that don't brew just don't get that it takes time. To heck with trying to scramble to get a brew together for him. Drink your keg up so it floats, then clean and sanitize it and take it to your nearest brewpub and have them fill it with whatever you want. Will cost you prolly 50 bucks or so, but at least you won't be trying to make do with green beer.

But I won't because 1. Its my Brother that I haven't seen in near 5 years, and 2. It those 5 years he has certainly earned an attempt at least. I joked that I would only let him drink keystone while he was out, but I could never actually do that. I suppose if it doesn't work out, I have plenty of other good homebrew to share, and if that didn't suit him, I am sure a quick trip to the liquor store could turn up something he liked.

You can do it! Theres 40 pints in 5 gallons, so if you just drink 2 pints a day for 3 weeks your golden. A few days in keg to carb and :mug: to your Bro

make do with green beer.

I have to disagree with this - it is a light style he is making, not something that needs to be aged in any way. If his brother had asked for a Guinness clone, or his favourite Christmas Ale, then I would agree. You know what you're doing JDP, keep it up.

Well, Its made. I will let you guys know how Niedrige Klasse Braugesellschaft's
S%!#head weizen comes out. (thats what we have been calling eachother since the days we would get the belt for using such language)

If it doesn't work out, the tiny changes to my Hausbrau worked out to near perfection! I think I have found my "go to" beer! (just opened the 14 day test bottle)

Well, Its made. I will let you guys know how Niedrige Klasse Braugesellschaft's
S%!#head weizen comes out. (thats what we have been calling eachother since the days we would get the belt for using such language)

If it doesn't work out, the tiny changes to my Hausbrau worked out to near perfection! I think I have found my "go to" beer! (just opened the 14 day test bottle)

Good to hear man.

Another trick I've used to clear a beer, is after the bulk of the fermenation is complete (but still going), pitch a strong flocculating yeast, like wlp 002. This will help the primary yeast to flocculate, while not contributing a lot to the flavor. I've succesfully gotten a classic German Wheat beer yeast to drop out relatively quickly by doing this.

Another trick I've used to clear a beer, is after the bulk of the fermenation is complete (but still going), pitch a strong flocculating yeast, like wlp 002. This will help the primary yeast to flocculate, while not contributing a lot to the flavor. I've succesfully gotten a classic German Wheat beer yeast to drop out relatively quickly by doing this.

Well, I am too late for that, but I think I have this one in the bag. I will try that in the future though!

Back