Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > North Country Malt Group to stop selling to homebrewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
JJL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have to admit I was pretty surprised when I first heard that these guys would do individual sales in the first place. It's really an exception to normal retailing. Most manufacturers in any type of business prefer not to sell direct to consumer. The one's who do usually sell at a higher price than they sell to wholesalers. They usually set an MSRP for the product and sell it for that price only direct to consumers, which allows their wholesale customers to adjust their retail pricing to be competitive. Retailers get a little upset when they are being undercut by the manufacturer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigafoos View Post
Is it really cost effective to buy one sack at a time? My LHBS sells them for $60-65, and so ordering a small amount is about a break even proposition for me. The only time it made sense was when a group of us went in on a pallet.
Lol, it's VERY cost effective to buy straight from them. I get a 55# sack of two row for $32. That's half the LHBS cost... $0.58 a pound. Including gas to get there in my gas guzzling Mustang it's still $0.69 a pound...

Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts

i'm just happy i made my first purchase with them about 6 months ago. shame they have to cut out new homebrew customers, but they really aren't set up well for that type of retail market.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigafoos View Post
Is it really cost effective to buy one sack at a time? My LHBS sells them for $60-65, and so ordering a small amount is about a break even proposition for me. The only time it made sense was when a group of us went in on a pallet.
Last single sack I got (just got it) was Franco-Belges Pils malt for $57 delivered to my front door. No tax, no driving, just pull it inside my door.

I was about to order another sack today. We'll see what happens. Maybe I should get two.

EDIT: And I was recently thinking the new NC depot might reduce my shipping and was all excited about that. Woopsie.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 08-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 241 Posts

The key question here is...where is the grain list for us to look at now? So that we know prices and what else they have?

This is obviously for those of us that have bought within 12 months.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is definitely bad news for extract brewers like myself. DME is double the price anywhere else. Hopefully I can still continue to order even if its only a bag or two at a time. I have no idea what I'll do if I can't. Drink and brew less?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah this would be crushing.... hopefully since i order regularly Ill still be allowed to order. Also I wonder what it would take to be considered a legit store...

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
yeah this would be crushing.... hopefully since i order regularly Ill still be allowed to order. Also I wonder what it would take to be considered a legit store...
Probably a distribution deal that would include buying a heck of a lot of brewcraft stuff.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #19
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Legally, a FEIN and Tax ID. But in reality, what Remilard sed.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #20
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The arguement about the competition for bulk grain purchases shutting down local supply stores irritates me. If the supply stores want to stay in business, maybe they shouldn't charge $60 for a fricken bag of 2row. That's gouging us consumers if you ask me and is probably why bulk grain buys exist in the first place. At $60 a bag what's the mark up profit to the retail store? 100% or more? That's ridiculous.

I understand marking up smaller quantities though. Besides, what percentage of a LHBS's business is from bags of grain anyways. I'll bet it's low.

NHC 2011 pics

NHC 2010 pics

Quick Reply