NHC 2010, are you entering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
22c, 23, 16e, 17b

A couple of our guys will be on the table together, same region with beers in 5d, 15c, 16e, 17a, 17b, and 21a.

This is my first year entering, I ended up sending in 4 sours, and 2 dark German beers. I have high hopes for the Wine Barrel Aged Flanders Red, but if that wins I have to split the glory seven ways with the other guys who contributed beer to the barrel. I'm also interested to see how my butternut squash sour brown scores, I'm guessing over 40 or under 20...

Good luck to everyone who entered.

I apologize for drifting off subjet a little but I have not been involved in a competition yet so I am not aware of the process. I am curious about the use of "embossed" bottles and why there would be issues? Obvious ID not being on the bottle I understand.
Just kind of curious!

sent in a 10a which was origionally a 10b until it was judged this weekend and saying that my hoppy amber was too hoppy, I'll show them :) I also sent in a 19a, that one kicks a$$, about 6 months old now and I noticed a good amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle so hopefully they won't stir it up.

I apologize for drifting off subjet a little but I have not been involved in a competition yet so I am not aware of the process. I am curious about the use of "embossed" bottles and why there would be issues? Obvious ID not being on the bottle I understand.
Just kind of curious!

In the case of the most common embossed bottles (Sam Adams), there really isn't an issue. However, if you knew one of the judges and told them that you were entering a cherry porter in a xxxxxx embossed bottle, that could ruin the blind concept of these comps. For sure, it has to be a rather unique, rare beer and an equally rare bottle but it can happen.

Keep in mind, these beers are judged by our peers, friends, etc.

In the case of the most common embossed bottles (Sam Adams), there really isn't an issue. However, if you knew one of the judges and told them that you were entering a cherry porter in a xxxxxx embossed bottle, that could ruin the blind concept of these comps. For sure, it has to be a rather unique, rare beer and an equally rare bottle but it can happen.

And even not-so-rare bottles sent to a depot where that beer is not distributed.

humann,
My Dusseldorf Alt was brewed as an Oktoberfest and scored 26 in a local comp in November.:( Both judges raved about how they loved it:)...but that it wasn't as O-fest.:eek: Both said it should have been entered as a Dusseldorf Alt...and so it was.

If I had known THAT is what a Dusseldorf Alt is supposed to taste like, I'd have been brewing a LOT more Dusseldorf Alts (or at least 'trying' to).

Yeah but if you tell someone you entered a cherry porter period, that goes a lot of the way towards defeating anonymity so you have to rely on the honor code either way.

The biggest unintentional threat to anonymity I have ever seen is that most comps assign entry numbers in order, so everyone's entries have similar numbers. If a judge sees a pull sheet with 4 entries that are in a row and knows a brewer that enters a lot in that category, then he knows exactly whose beer it is.

My saison had to go in deschutes bottles because that's the best I had for them, but deschutes just have a hop garland around the shoulder and that's it. My other two entries went in plain jane bottles.

On a side note some folks might like. I was rubberbanding the labels on my APA and chocolate stout the night before dropping them off. I was being very careful and pulled out a bottle of my apa and put the label on it. Then I pulled a bottle of my chocolate stout out and put that label on it... then read the label and it was for my APA! I came THIS close to sending them in switched. If I'd have set the bottle down, I wouldn't have been able to catch it.

I just sent mine off.

1A, 1B, 1C, 14C, 15A, 26B (amarillo dry hopped pale ale for the beer part), 26C (cherry, chocolate, almond mead, medium, sparkling), 25C (cherry, medium, sparkling).

My capper leaves a distinct depression at the center of the cap that is not common to most that I have seen. No one has ever mentioned it in my case and I have never personally known any of the judges. But for anyone wanting the judges to be able to pick out their beer this is an unfortunate loophole in the rules.

Northeast region is CLOSED

The entry limit of 750 entries has been reached for your region. No more entries can be submitted at this time.

Got to enter one of 6 I planned on, guess the hobby is really growing.

Wow that's crazy. I managed to get 7 entered and dropped off on Saturday. Although I did register way in advance. Looks like my chances of advancing my first year in NHC are quite slim, but I'm happy with all my entrees.

Well, I entered three. My saison... I have no idea if it's to style. I entered it mostly to fine out. My APA... I sampled one of the bottles can can't decide if it was just green or of it has an off flavor, but the aroma just wasn't quite there. My chocolate... sampled this one as well and it seems good to go, but the carbonation wasn't quite there. Hoping it improves before tasting.

Wow, can't believe they hit their cap back east. Go homebrewers!

I got 3 in for the Northwest. I was hoping for 5, but two of them just weren't what I was hoping they'd be so I scratched them. So I'm in American APA and IPA, which are like two of the most competitive brackets, and a Belgian Specialty Belgian IPA that is fairly young, but really intersting tasting right now. Tastes a bit like Juicy fruit gum, and it's all from the yeast cuz the last fermentor sample was dry and peppery with a gravity at 1.007. The IPA did take 3rd at another local BJCP contest 2 weeks ago, so I know it has some legs.

Good luck everyone.

Wow, can't believe they hit their cap back east. Go homebrewers!

Sounds like the Northeast and now Midwest. Not sure how many of those are entiries that were entered into the system but not paid for or entered. Just glad it wasn't the East (the less competition for me the better).

I hope you started with the best of six. The bright side is you just saved 45 bucks.

I edited the only entry so I could send a Doppelbock, I've been told its excellent.

Of course 4 of the other 5 (Black IPA, Dunkel, Dunkelweizen, Pils) I planned to send have all got ribbons in either the New England Homebrew Competition or the Boston Homebrew competition.....just wanted to see how they did on the bigger stage.

I sent Flanders Brown bottle primed with cherry concentrate in 16e and a 2 year old English Barleywine with Bourbon oak so 22c.
Small world. I have a Flanders Brown brewed back in June of last year. Trying real hard to ignore it. Might be ready for NHC 2011. I did get a 22C into this year comp, but yours sounds more inviting. Might be interesting to compare score sheets when this thing is over.

I sent in Munich Helles (1D), N English Brown (11C), Dunkelweizen (15B) ,English Barleywine (19B), and a Coconut Robust Porter (S-H-V 21A). I guess if you sent into Breckenridge, that is the SW region?

. . . looking for some good feedback.
Speaking of feedback, for anyone who has entered NHC before, how is the feedback? Any different than a local competition or is it basically the same, region and judge dependent? In other words, do they tend to use more experience judges?

Speaking of feedback, for anyone who has entered NHC before, how is the feedback? Any different than a local competition or is it basically the same, region and judge dependent? In other words, do they tend to use more experience judges?

Well I judged last year in the NE region first round. I'd say (after only judging three comps total), the caliber and quality of judging is really good. Judging with a National for ciders was great (though you really have to know your ciders to ace this one). However, my partner for OA/Smoked beers wasn't the best, he wrote very little feedback and it never seemed to get caught by the organizers. It really depends on what level of judge you get, and it's typically printed on your score sheets. Also, you can definitely contact the organizer after getting your sheets back if you're unhappy with the feedback (David Houseman really hit home the point that folks PAY for good feedback and we should provide it). Bummed I'm not going to make it to judge this year though.:(

About the same maybe a little better.
Judges are judges, bad/lazy ones arent going to judge more thoroughly just because its the NHC.

Back