Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NHC 2010, are you entering?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

It kind of slipped my mind. I might enter my RIS and a Hefeweizen I'll have ready by then. I haven't done much brewing since December since Im moving at the end of the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopvine View Post
I have a couple beers I wouldn't mind entering, but I'm on the fence in regards to which category to enter them under.

One is a high gravity chocolate/coffee stout, and the other is a Rye IPA.

What do you guys think?
Category 23 with Russian Imperial Stout as the base beer for the first one

I'm pretty sure Rye IPAs have to be entered as 23 right now too. Since you can only enter one beer per category, I'd do 14B and not mention the rye.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
I'll threadcrap and say that I don't see the point of paying to have other people who don't have any idea what my process is, nor what I was trying to achieve with a brew, taste my beer. I don't really care about brewing a Pale Ale that fits someone else's concept of what a Pale Ale should taste like. Instead, I use styles as a starting point based on which I keep tweaking the recipe until I come up with what *I* think is a great beer. That's all that matters to me.

Of course, for whatever reason you guys enter your beers, I wish you good luck!
Many of us do it to learn and to improve. Everybody 'thinks' their beer is good. But if you send in your Pale Ale for example, you may get some comments that identify a slight off flavor that you never really noticed or pinpointed. Last time I sent in a Pale Ale that I thought was good they noticed a slight vegetal note that I hadn't really noticed. But I tasted that beer after reading the scoresheet and there it was. I thought that slight vegetal note was 'supposed' to be there (I hadn't identified it as a vegetal flavor). We all want to make beer that *we* think is great, this can be a tool to help us do that better. The fact that they don't know your process is irrelevant, good beer is good beer no matter the process.

I'm sure I'll send in at least a few brews but it'll just depend on what's ready and fits into a style guideline.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

+1 to what SpanishCastleAle said. Its also pretty cool to enter the NHC since its the biggest homebrew competition in the nation.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
overflow
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt View Post
What style would a Jamil's Evil Twin be considered as? Just curious for local. I'm not ready to go national.
10B American Amber Ale

Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #15
Noleafclover
Recipes 

I'm entering a few... I'd be overwhelmed if even one goes to the national competition.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #16
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hell yeah, I'm entering a Mild, American Brown Ale (might also enter it as an Imperial Brown), and an Amber. If I manage to brew again in the next week or two I'll enter another, and I've also got a porter that is ok bottled up...can't hurt to enter it (except the $9)

I love the spirit and idea of competitions and target brewing. Think of it as target shooting/skills comp in any sport. I think people get mad about competitions when they brew something just to drink and then enter it and get shot down. But if you are up for the challenge, read the guidelines and try to nail a style. It can be a lot of fun.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #17
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So who does this work?

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 02-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #18
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewagentjay View Post
So who does this work?
There are a number of regional competitions that form the first round of the National Homebrew Competition (NHC). You can go to the AHA website and figure out what region you are in and how to enter.

The beers are grouped into the BJCP categories and the beers that place 1-3 with a minimum score of 30 advance to the second round that is held at the National Homebrewers Conference (NHC).

Old 03-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #19
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Just want to make sure I did this right, plus I'm not sure which style of Porter (Baltic or Robust) I should use for the base style: I have a Porter (1.067 OG; 1.014 FG; ~34 IBU, ~29 SRM) that I put in a 5 gal corn whiskey barrel for a few weeks. I want to enter it in category 22C; Wood-aged beer. Under the 'Special Ingredients/Base Beer Style' I intend to write 'Corn whiskey oak barrel aged ?????? Porter'.

I actually brewed this as a Robust Porter but after reading the BJCP style guidelines it actually looks like it may be closer to a Baltic in flavor. It attenuated more than I intended and has a little alcohol warmth...plus the whiskey flavor. It's not that bitter, it has a little sweetness but not cloying. Smooth/full mouthfeel. Some caramel but not much, some roast but not much (.75# Choc + .25# RB, that's it).

The only Porter I've ever had was Deschutes Black Butte...this doesn't taste like that. Any help appreciated.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had zero plan to enter, but I do have a barleywine that is pretty tasty and I aged it in one of those barrels as well. It was a good beer before, but now it just has one more little something extra.

What category is Black IPA/ CDA? It would be ready by then.

Quick Reply