Newly cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwbeard

Reaction score
After a full primary (1.042 » 1.008), eight days cold crashing a blonde ale (<38 degrees for 7 of them), gelatin @ 2nd day of cold crashing, and filtration (need the batch for a party this weekend and wanted it crystal clear), I had a gorgeous blonde ale:

image-1838402499.jpg

I threw the keg (which had been sanitized) in the kegerator before it warmed up at all. Less than a day latter, the beer is cloudier than it was in cold crash:

image-1918166563.jpg

Any idea what could have caused the cloudiness? Infection/renewed fermentation seems less likely since the Fg was low, and the keg didn't have a chance to warm up (and is at the same temp as when it was filtered) so chill haze doesn't seem likely. Rather at a loss.

By moving the beer into a different vessel, you moved whatever particulates were left back up into solution; it's possible that the haze you're seeing is from gelatin that didn't get filtered (I'm not sure what your process was so I GUESS that's possible?) or whatever other particulates made it through into the keg. Hopefully the cloudiness will settle out in the next few days.

If not, then the issue is almost certainly chill-haze. That's the only non-infection haze I can think of that would INCREASE over time. Chill-haze might have cropped up if your LINE wasn't cooler, so the beer warmed up in the line while transferring from crash to keg?

Back