need help fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
ok. so, I just pitched my yeast but I forgot to take my O.G. reading. Can I still take one, even though I just pitched, or will this somehow screw things up and piss off the yeasties???

Last time I did this, I sanitized my hydrometer and dropped it in the primary, got a good reading. As far as I know you're ok to take a sample out, the only problem that I can see is you're taking some of your precious yeasties out along with the sample. If youre fermenting in a plastic bucket, I would sanitize the hydrometer and drop it in.

It wouldn't have hurt to take a sample afte pitching. However it doesn't really make much of a difference. Just leave the thing in the primary a few extra days, or don't rack to secndary at all. You just won't be able to now the exact alcohol content of your beer.

I generally take the sample after pitching. Then I can leave the sample next to the fermenter and watch the gravity drop.

Slightly more interesting than watching the cows eat grass, which is the alternative this time of year.

I decided to just leave it alone. I took a pre-boil reading, so I can guess within a point or two. Thanks for the reply.

This is what I would have done. In brewing extract beers, taking an OG is pretty nearly irrelevant, since it can be determined quite simply. With AG, as long as you've determined that conversion DID take place (starch test, if nothing else...ideally, a refractometer reading) and you know the quantity of fermentables, you can probably guesstimate OG within a few points....and that's all you need.

Back