Microwaved wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole argument is on the level of tin foil hats to protect against radio waves and drives me up the wall. (My E&M professor (zoya popovic at CU boulder) for transmission lab, E&M 1 and 2, once fielded a call about power lines causing cancer and one about microwaves damaging food, so in class we went through the basic math to look at the plausibility of the idea.... it's really not plausible).

there are real educated scientists, in other universities for example, that take things beyond exploring and implementing basic math...they actually study effects from microwaves, and their findings are much different than yours...jussayin...luckily, people are curious enough to not rely on math alone

ps - we've definitely gotten off topic from OP...sorry...if you wanna microwave your wort, try it and let us know how it went

that did look very interesting...that guy in the vid seemed a little nervous, he shoulda had a homebrew beforehand...didn't he say they have a 10 gallon version er something?

i just watched the video again - he said 20 gallons!!...think i have to hear that one more time...

and how do you fit 5+ gallons in the microwave?...guess i'll go look at the website

I guess you microwave 2 gallons at a time 10 times. Damn that would take 10 hours if they are 60 min boils!

well gee, thanks...i didn't realize that beer and the art of brewing was only for fat, unhealthy slobs

You said you take your health seriously; alcohol can be seen as detrimental to your health. Just looking for some consistency in your actions, or pointing out your hypocrisy. :mug:

You said you take your health seriously; alcohol can be seen as detrimental to your health. Just looking for some consistency in your actions, or pointing out your hypocrisy. :mug:

While I take exceptions with the arguments made regarding microwaves it seems perfectly consistent to brew your own as a health conscious individual. There are arguments that there are health benefits to moderate consumption of alcohol. If you brew your own you can be fairly certain of what you've got in there, similar to making your own dinner from scratch as opposed to picking up take-out or popping a box in the microwave (shouldn't have brought that up again). :)

there are real educated scientists, in other universities for example, that take things beyond exploring and implementing basic math...they actually study effects from microwaves, and their findings are much different than yours...jussayin...luckily, people are curious enough to not rely on math alone

ps - we've definitely gotten off topic from OP...sorry...if you wanna microwave your wort, try it and let us know how it went

Nothing that you've posted involves science or scientists. There is no valid research.

what fatmoose said

moderate beer consumption can still have a place in a healthy life style...just like wine...understood?

and not only consumption...when you become passionate about an art, such as beer making, it is definitely beneficial to one's general health and well-being

so maybe it is you who are in the wrong forum if you still think beer is a slobbish, crotch-scratching topic

that is total bullsh*t

there is "valid" (an exclusionary term) research...just look for it...some is cited in the link i posted

I'm sorry you're running into so much negativity here, because this is a pretty friendly website, but you sound like some crotchety old man who keeps the blinds drawn and refusing anything that you deem to be "new fangled."

Microwaves destroying the health benefits of food? Creating carcinogenic substances? Get a grip!

Microwaves use radiation at a certain wavelength and frequency to transfer energy to water and other polar molecules within the food, they in turn transfer energy to the rest of the food, BAM! theres your hot pocket.

In the science lab I work at, we even use a microwave to melt agarose media that we then use to culture sensitive microbes, they seem fine.

If I knew you I would chase you around the house with my kenmore until I peed my pants.

I'm sorry you're running into so much negativity here, because this is a pretty friendly website, but you sound like some crotchety old man who keeps the blinds drawn and refusing anything that you deem to be "new fangled."

Microwaves destroying the health benefits of food? Creating carcinogenic substances? Get a grip!

Microwaves use radiation at a certain wavelength and frequency to transfer energy to water and other polar molecules within the food, they in turn transfer energy to the rest of the food, BAM! theres your hot pocket.

In the science lab I work at, we even use a microwave to melt agarose media that we then use to culture sensitive microbes, they seem fine.

If I knew you I would chase you around the house with my kenmore until I peed my pants.

i don't see where you mentioned you did your own experiment and analyzed food after putting it in a microwave...

such big people some of you are to make personal attacks when information is presented which may differ from your line of beliefs...i would expect these sorts of responses in a debate about religion

so maybe it is you who are in the wrong forum if you still think beer is a slobbish, crotch-scratching topic

:confused: My English may not be perfect, but I don't see how anyone could get that from what I said.

I saw tinfoil on sale to make hats. :mug:

As I was browsing that physicist's site I found this article on the potential hazard of boiling water in the microwave: http://www.howeverythingworks.org/page1.php?QNum=1576. I'd not consider this a call to alarm over using the microwave for this purpose but it's interesting reading and probably good information to keep in mind. Of course I've boiled water in the microwave for numerous purposes without anything more than a mild scalding due to my carelessness.

I saw a mythbusters episode that tested this. They were only able to get exploding water by using distilled water. Everything else they tried had enough minerals or impurities to cause a boil.

Back