Malting barley problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskyElite

Reaction score
Hey all brewers out there

I have kinda problem when attempting to malting my barley to make my own malt. After a few tries, I decided to open this thread and ask if someone can help me to figure it out.

So, here it is what I do:
I steep the grains in water (I have tried with steeping and resting intervals, such as 6 hours rest, 8 hours steep etc) for about 2 or 3 days of steeping process. Then when the germination starts, I can see the chits r coming out, and here is the problem, the CHITTING grains are not even, some of the grains started to chit, some of them not, for a ratio of about 60% chitted and 40% unchitted.

Could be this a temperature problem? Because the temperature in the room when I was doing the malting process was approximately 80-85F. And today accidentally I found out that the temperature when malting, especially when germinating, shouldn't exceed above 65F and it should be between 50-65F. Is this true?

What do u think, is this a temperature problem, or the problem is in the barley itself? I'm using a 2-row barley, which I bought from a local farm.

How is ur experience with malting ur own malt? Any advice, please.

Thanks

Your problem could be temperature or quality of barley or both or something else. Oxygen content of the water? Chemicals in the water? malting is very complex, I've found the single most helpful procedure in the entire malting process is moving the grains. It's possible at that temperature that some of the grains were too hot, barley makes it's own heat when it grows.

My experience: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happiness-home-malting-107409/

Malt on my friend:mug:

Turning the grain is an age old part of the process. Turning ensures no hot spots, eliminates the chances of mould and hopefully even chitting.

Latest posts

Back