Letting kegs get to room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
So I just kegged a beer, but I need to use the keezer for fermenting 10 more gals. I'm going to obviously have to remove the IPA from the keezer and it'll get to room temp.

Being new to kegging, what should be my expectations?

Well generally folks would say that the beer may expel co2 and potentially sour the beer some. However, I used to buy kegs, raise to room temp and flatten for nitrogenating (beer gas) and I never fouled any beer by warning it for 5 days.

Beer doesn't sour from being at room temperature. It may "age" and get a bit off-flavor over a period of time, but when you think about it, it's no different than having bottled beer inside the house.

I do my best to keep any beer under 70F but sometimes it's just not possible. I avoid 80F like the plague though.

MC

My real concern is the CO2. I have no doubt that the beer will be fine, as it has no oxygen to ruin it. My concern was whether I'd have to re-carb, etc.

I've gotta take the keg outta the keezer so I can ferment 10 more gals.

I've done it and I just throw the keg in my basement at about 60F-65F.

The keg is a sealed container, so once you re-cool the keg I think everything should go back to the way it was before it was warmed up. The CO2 can't really go anywhere unless your purge valve gets tripped by overpressure.

I've done it and I just throw the keg in my basement at about 60F-65F.

The keg is a sealed container, so once you re-cool the keg I think everything should go back to the way it was before it was warmed up. The CO2 can't really go anywhere unless your purge valve gets tripped by overpressure.

Word. I figured this scientific/common sense explanation did in fact seem the most likely scenario.

Sometimes I gotta make sacrifices, like taking this keg of 60 min IPA off the tap so I can ferment 5 gals of wheat and 5 gals of brown ale.

As I understand it, beer typically goes from cold to warm and back again a few times on it's way from the brewery your mouth. It shouldn't effect flavor or carbonation much at all

Cool deal. Yeah it'll just be sitting in my closet while my wheat and brown ales get a good 1.5-2 weeks in the keezer to ferment.

I JUST finished this keezer, and now I need another one for fermentation. So, the more $ you throw at brewing, the more $ you want to spend AFTER.

Back