Left over hops help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
I am minimashing my AHS Greenbelt Pale Ale right now. Its got the following hop schedule:
1 1/4 Chinook 12.6% 60min
1/4 Chinook 12.6% 15min
1/2 Amarillo 8.2% 15min
1/2 Simcoe 12.4% 15min
1/2 Chinook 12.9% 5min

Then Dry Hop with 1/2oz Amarillo and 1/2oz Simcoe.

So my question is, I've got some old hops, about a year old now that have been in a freezer bag that I sucked most of the air out of. What I've got left over is about 1/16th oz of Cascade, almost a full oz of GR Tradition, and about 3/4oz of Perle.
I was going to ask if I could put any of those hops in but I just smelled inside the little baggies and they smell kind of dead, very little hop aroma. Should I just toss them?

Well, how did you store them? Fridge, freezer, room temp? Unless you stored them in the freezer, I would pitch them at that age. If you did store them in the freezer, wait for them to warm up before smelling them, then evaluate whether or not their aroma is good enough for the beer you want to brew. Garbage in, garbage out; if in doubt, I would just get new.

they were in the freezer. I am leaning towards tossing them. I've got all the hops I need from the kit anyways. Was just looking for a way to get rid of them without using the trashcan.

Back