Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Kettlehouse Cold Smoke Scotch Ale Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #61
remuS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Cooperia,

I've only brewed this once. Though if I do it again I would probably up the black malt or barley a bit. I found it lacked some of the roasted flavor the commercial version has.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #62
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default adjust for efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by remuS View Post
Here's the conversion to a 5 Gallon batch... Let me know if my math is wrong.

9.14# 2 Row
0.322# 120L
0.204# Black Malt
0.091# Roasted Barley

10.5 IBUs @ 110
0.27# Brown Sugar @ 30
0.3 OZ Goldings @ 0

Note this is for a 2 hour boil, so adjust accordingly.
One key adjustment needs to be made for this recipe....the brewery recipe reflects much higher efficiency than most home brewers will get...thus the low OG several have experienced using this grain bill. Scale UP the grainbill until the expected OG is 1.066 for your normal efficiency.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 AM   #63
BrewinDragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkblue View Post
One key adjustment needs to be made for this recipe....the brewery recipe reflects much higher efficiency than most home brewers will get...thus the low OG several have experienced using this grain bill. Scale UP the grainbill until the expected OG is 1.066 for your normal efficiency.
I love this beer, and any time I run through Zoo town or Bozo these days, I pick up a 4 pack, or now I've found them in 6 packs. Good stuff!

Exactly pwkblue! I'm calculating this recipe at 93% efficiency. Depending on the brewsystem, I usually get 75% - 80% efficiency, although once I did get around 97% efficiency. I think it was a fluke or a miscalculation somewhere.

So assuming 75% efficiency, and a 10g batch, here are some rough estimates:

2-Row: 22# 8oz: 93.6%
Black Patent: 8oz: 2.1%
Roasted Barley: 4oz: 1%
Crystal 120L: 2.4oz: .6%
Brown Sugar: 10.4oz: 2.7%

Columbus (CTZ): 14.5% AA: .4oz @ 110 minutes left of boil
East Kent Goldings: 5% AA: .6oz @ Flameout

Note: Kettlehouse's recipe calls for a ratio of 2.5 ratio of water to grain. I take that to mean they are mashing at 2.5 quarts per pound of grain. With 23.4#s of grain, that would be 14.625 gallons of water. Most 15 gallon mash tuns won't even hold this much mash, so I would say you should use as much water as possible for your system.

Second Note: Also they bring the MT from 150F up to 168F before boiling. So, you'll need to have some way to heat your mash ... maybe you'll have to start circulating the wort into the boil kettle to heat it, then back into the MT continuing the cycle till you hit 168F.

I would also venture to guess they don't sparge; there is enough water in the mash to give them all the wort needed for the boil. So, you'd need to adjust accordingly. But I'll leave that piece for someone else.

Cheers!
- BD

Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #64
pwkblue
Recipes 

Default Ressurected

Funny to see this thread active...I am brewing it again tonight.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #65
thrstyunderwater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinDragon View Post
I love this beer, and any time I run through Zoo town or Bozo these days, I pick up a 4 pack, or now I've found them in 6 packs. Good stuff!

Exactly pwkblue! I'm calculating this recipe at 93% efficiency. Depending on the brewsystem, I usually get 75% - 80% efficiency, although once I did get around 97% efficiency. I think it was a fluke or a miscalculation somewhere.

Note: Kettlehouse's recipe calls for a ratio of 2.5 ratio of water to grain. I take that to mean they are mashing at 2.5 quarts per pound of grain. With 23.4#s of grain, that would be 14.625 gallons of water. Most 15 gallon mash tuns won't even hold this much mash, so I would say you should use as much water as possible for your system.

Second Note: Also they bring the MT from 150F up to 168F before boiling. So, you'll need to have some way to heat your mash ... maybe you'll have to start circulating the wort into the boil kettle to heat it, then back into the MT continuing the cycle till you hit 168F.

I would also venture to guess they don't sparge; there is enough water in the mash to give them all the wort needed for the boil. So, you'd need to adjust accordingly. But I'll leave that piece for someone else.

Cheers!
- BD
How did this recipe turn out?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #66
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm real curious how it turns out too...I tried the original recipe awhile back and it didn't come out so good. Anxious to hear how the beefed-up version tastes. That Coldsmoke has got to be one of my favorite MT brews...

Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #67
BrewinDragon
Recipes 

Well, I brewed a modified version yesterday (I can't really copy the recipe verbatim). I love Coldsmoke, and actually have a couple in the fridge for tasting when this test recipe is finished fermenting. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Batch Size: 18 Gal - 25 Gal MT/BK
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80%

2-Row: 40#
Choc Wheat Malt (400 SRM): 1.4#
Crystal 40L: .5#
Roasted Barley: .5#
Magnum: .6 oz @ 110 (9.4 IBUs)
CTZ: .4 oz @ 110 (6.3 IBUs)
Brown Sugar: 1# @ 30
Tettnanger: .95 oz @ 0

Mash @ 151 - 60 min
Temp rise to 159F - 20 min
Boil: 120 Min

Initial thoughts last night:
- Remember to fill the propane tank before starting to brew. (DOH!)
- Didn't want to raise the temp to 168F because I needed to sparge, and want to maximize sugar extraction.
- Came out a bit darker than expected, might use less Chocolate Wheat in future batches.
- SG: 1070 - target I was trying to hit.

Hop additions seemed really good. I was surprised the 110 addition didn't seem bitter at all. The Br Sugar was noticeable, but not too pronounced; it may need a bit of aging to fully blend. All in all, it seems alright. I'm really interested in how it turns out and what people will think.

Cheers,
- BD

Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #68
thrstyunderwater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Cheers!
- BD
any advice on suggestions for a sub for east kent golding?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #69
pwkblue
Recipes 

Default various

the IBU's are very low...but you can pick the EKG is more important than the CTZ.

I would start with the obvious sub of any other "Goldings" Hop...the US, BC, and other Goldings are the same hop. After that I'd go with Willamette, or maybe fuggles

Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #70
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

Cheers!
- BD
I highly doubt a pro brewery does no sparge. They would just be wasting gravity points which is a lot of money lost.

I'll be brewing this up on Monday, will post results.

Quick Reply