kegging elitism

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the umbrellas with "Martini Porche" on them,in honour of the movie "LeMans"!! Brumos porche RULES!
When the Austrian Langheck ruled the earth!
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT59amOra78

Velocity stack shaped glasses?

One of these chairs?

front_laurel.jpg

I have 8 cornie kegs, a deep freezer, and a temp controller.

I bottle exclusively. I think the beer tastes better and ages MUCH better in the bottle.

Not saying that I'll never keg again. While I prefer bottle conditioned beer, I absolutely HATE bottling beer. I guess that's the price you pay though. Like work, and this is work, you get paid only for those tasks that you hate doing. Everything else you do for free. Fun isn't work.... It's called work, not "happy fun time" after all. Bottling is work... I don't care how patient you are, bottling is time consuming and is the only task that I absolutely hate about home brewing. If that's all of the actual labor that I have to perform for this great hobbie of mine, I suppose I can suffer through it. Especially a few weeks after bottling day when I pour my first brand new baby into a pint glass and take a big drink of it..... ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Somehow that always lessens the pain of bottling day.

I drank a 5 year old bottle of DFH Indian Brown clone tonight and it was delicious. I Also drank from a keg that I racked only a week ago and that one was oxidized.

With the umbrellas with "Martini Porche" on them,in honour of the movie "LeMans"!! Brumos porche RULES!
When the Austrian Langheck ruled the earth!
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT59amOra78

Brings to mind my Navy brethren's saying about "Ships of wood and men of iron".

As an aside, when I was just a sprout, a guy in my hometown bought a Gulf liveried GT-40. This was back in the late 60's. I had the chance to ride in that magnificent beast a few times. Even though i was only 8 or 9 year's old I still remember that thing.

:fro:

As an aside, when I was just a sprout, a guy in my hometown bought a Gulf liveried GT-40. This was back in the late 60's. I had the chance to ride in that magnificent beast a few times. Even though i was only 8 or 9 year's old I still remember that thing.

Epic. If you have the means, you could return the favor in this:
2015-Porsche-918-Spyder-Prototype-Martini-Livery.jpg

Beer critics and judges say so many dumb things.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/64558227[/ame]

Beer is a vastly complicated product, with countless nuances that influence the final product. It could be one of scores of things that they tasted. My best guess is a +1 on the yeast being shaken into the beer on the drive.

Some major brewers go to unbelievable lengths to bottle condition their beers, this can't be an accident. But most beer at brewpubs is kegged, and I've had unbelievable beers off draft.

They're just looking for something to show their massive knowledge off, whether they had that wisdom or not.

I agree with the previous posters. It has to do with sugar.

As far as bottle conditioning, if you wait for the beer to clear, you won't have very much trub. I usually wait a month in the secondary. I get a light dusting at the bottom of the bottle.

Some times a little trub can taste good. More in darker beers; less in lighter. Besides yeast, trub contains left over of malt and hop particles. If the left over particles have a stronger taste than the dead yeast, the last drink can taste like a strong drink of the beer. It can make a great beer fantastic as well as bad beers worse.

I made a mocha stout once. The trub tasted like chocolate covered expresso beans. It was a great last drink.

Velocity stack shaped glasses?

One of these chairs?

front_laurel.jpg
That's a cool chair I'd love to have in my mancave!
Brings to mind my Navy brethren's saying about "Ships of wood and men of iron".

That had to be the greates,riding in a GT-40 Gulf Mirage! Lucky you! Now that's a memory!
Epic. If you have the means, you could return the favor in this:
2015-Porsche-918-Spyder-Prototype-Martini-Livery.jpg

Shades of old mirages...:rockin:

Those guys that were being keg snobbish need to meet so CAMRA members where if it isnt naturally carbonated and hand drawn from a cloudy wood cask then it aint real ale. :)

Serious brewers in a hurry just pour the fermented liquid into a growler through a funnel at warm temperature.

Carbonation is overrated, cold just makes you have to expand heat to warm back up. Bottling and kegging need to go, in fact the extra CO2 from same will eventually be taxed so why not make the change now?

:rockin:

Serious brewers in a hurry just pour the fermented liquid into a growler through a funnel at warm temperature.

Carbonation is overrated, cold just makes you have to expand heat to warm back up. Bottling and kegging need to go, in fact the extra CO2 from same will eventually be taxed so why not make the change now?

:rockin:

This is more common with hooch that you ferment asap just to get drunk on. not good home brewed craft beer.

Kegging is better. All you people bottling suck.

No. But seriously (jokes aside), the only reason that I don't bottle is because I'm lazy. Cleaning and sanitizing 28 bombers or 50 12oz bottles. No thanks. That's not even mentioning filling them. I did it fairly quickly but it's too much work on the weekend after a 52 hour work week. 5.5 hour brew days are already a lot of work, although I enjoy doing that.

I didn't have any problem with the flavor when I used to bottle. It's just a laziness factor for me. I will bottle high alcohol beers though (which I don't brew much of). I don't want to have a keg tied up with a beer that I will only drink 12oz or less a day.

Kegging is better. All you people bottling suck.

No. But seriously (jokes aside), the only reason that I don't bottle is because I'm lazy. Cleaning and sanitizing 28 bombers or 50 12oz bottles. No thanks. That's not even mentioning filling them. I did it fairly quickly but it's too much work on the weekend after a 52 hour work week. 5.5 hour brew days are already a lot of work, although I enjoy doing that.

I didn't have any problem with the flavor when I used to bottle. It's just a laziness factor for me. I will bottle high alcohol beers though (which I don't brew much of). I don't want to have a keg tied up with a beer that I will only drink 12oz or less a day.

Oh God yeah. Besides time consuming my biggest issue was storage. Full bottles, empty bottles. It is a nightmare if you have a small place.

Wasn't flavor issues for me either. I also like the ability to pour exactly as much as I want and the ability to filter if so desired. Besides, keggerators look so badass. Bit more of a pain if you are entering competitions though. I don't think they let you send in kegs yet. :D

Wasn't flavor issues for me either. I also like the ability to pour exactly as much as I want and the ability to filter if so desired. Besides, keggerators look so badass. Bit more of a pain if you are entering competitions though. I don't think they let you send in kegs yet. :D

There is a competition in Chicago that only accepts keg submissions...

And in cincinnati

What, because to allow bottle conditioning brewers into the game would make the kegging elitists look bad? WTF pardon my French but that is just wrong.

Now I have to keg my big Belgian that needs 2-3 months of bottle conditioning, just to try to win some lame contest in Cincinnati?

Sorry kegging elitists, you have crossed the line. I never have, and now never intend to pay for some kegging system. It's a convenience, and a way to look "cool". If I were to suspect that some BJCP judge discriminated on that basis, well, that wouldn't be good. I might have to send them an email with a few harsh anti-kegging rants.

Kegging elitists, ha.

There is a competition in Chicago that only accepts keg submissions...

Is that entire kegs, or only beers in bottles that are from a keg???? Kinda cool if the former, kinda stupid if the latter.

Is that entire kegs, or only beers in bottles that are from a keg???? Kinda cool if the former, kinda stupid if the latter.

Hey I hadn't considered entire kegs. Yeah that would be cool, you have to finish all the kegs off or until last man standing.

I looked it up, and it looks like there are several competitions all over where you supply a corny of beer for a competition. It is usually a voting system where many people try all the beers and vote for their fav. This is cool. Limiting bottle submissions to only keg conditioned would be not-cool (and frankly, pretty dumb).

Sounds like people's choice is the winner. That's how my 2nd gen Probe SE tuner won Midwest Mazdafest's best in class back in 2010.

I have sometimes noticed extended green beer flavors when bottling. Most my beers will bottle carb in 2 weeks, but I don't drink them until 4 weeks for this reason.

But you're not going to get cidery flavors from priming sugar. We're talking 2 - 4 oz per 5 gallons of beer. A lot of Belgian recipes call for a pound of candi sugar for 5 gallons.

Personally, now that I'm converting my 2nd garage into a brew/workout garage, I've started thinking about kegging. But with all the all the bottling & kegging problem threads I've read this has been my take away:

1) bottling is slow and requires a lot of prep work that kegging doesn't. But when you have a problem, it's usually just a couple bottles.
2) kegging is quicker and easier than bottling. But when you have a problem it's catastrophic and you lose a lot, if not all of the keg.

What, because to allow bottle conditioning brewers into the game would make the kegging elitists look bad? WTF pardon my French but that is just wrong.

Now I have to keg my big Belgian that needs 2-3 months of bottle conditioning, just to try to win some lame contest in Cincinnati?

Sorry kegging elitists, you have crossed the line. I never have, and now never intend to pay for some kegging system. It's a convenience, and a way to look "cool". If I were to suspect that some BJCP judge discriminated on that basis, well, that wouldn't be good. I might have to send them an email with a few harsh anti-kegging rants.

Kegging elitists, ha.
No, no. At the Cincinnati one, people bring in WHOLE KEGS. It is awesome because of the sheer amount of drinking involved.

As for myself,I bought enough gadgets along the way to make bottling day easier & quicker. See my gadget videos for the little things I bought for bottling/brew days on youtube. I also did a bottling video...aw hell,I'll just post'em here;

Last edited by a moderator:
I bottle condition and keg every batch. I brew 7gal batches and typically bottle what doesn't fit in the keg--10-15 bottles. Many light lagers that show flaws.

Kegged: Tastes a little brighter/fresher but flavor fades quicker(I think b/c of all the CO2 filling the dead space)

Bottled: A few more esters and slightly muted flavor but keeps its flavor longer

If you want to experiment, I add 2.2 grams of sucrose to each 12oz bottle to get ~ 2.3 vols of CO2. (3.5 grams to 22oz)

Latest posts

Back