just drank my first homebrew!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deranged_hermit

Reaction score
i bottled an Irish Red Ale last week and stuck a 6pack in the fridge this morning. This evening i opened one up, got a nice "chsshhh" and poured out clearer than i expected. not a lot of head, but i poured conservatively down the side of my pilsener glass. my only negative comment is that it is on the weak side (i dont get a lot of alcohol... but this was forseen as i had problems with the primary fermentation). also it is quite gassy if that makes sense. I've burped two or three times just from drinking one glass. but other than that i am very pleased and i'm sure my friends will be as well. the sam adams just went over to the secondary and now i will need 50 more bottles in a week or so.

i'd like to say thanks to everyone on these threads that answered mine and all of us other noobs' questions. it's really helped and we appreciate it!

Congrats! I remember my first HB.... ahh the memories.....

deranged_hermit said:
it is quite gassy if that makes sense.

Sure does. Certain hop strains have grassy flavors, so that might be what you are tasting. Plus, the beer is still a little young, so the flavor is going to change quite a bit over the next few week (if it lasts that long :)).

Keep that brewing pipline flowing! You've gotten over the hump of your first batch, and it just gets better from here.

-walker

Congratulations! I guess what one of the things that really amazed me about my first batch was that it really was BEER. I couldn't believe that I actually made beer myself. The second thing that surprised me was that it was not just beer, but that it was GOOD. It got better as it aged, and my subsequent batches got better than that. You have found yourself an excellent hobby.

I think your sig says it all -
Drinking: My first homebrew, and lovin' every drop of it!
Good work!!!:D

Back