I've had two people tell me it's stupid to brew a session (low ABV) beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't put stock in anyone's comments relating to my homebrew unless they brew themselves and/or are beer geeks.

I found, very quickly, that macro-beer-onomics :) is similar to micro. Where Yooper is talking about IBU/SG ratios, and the balance between flavors and tastes in a single beer. I found the same applied to my beer cellar rather quickly. After about 2-3 years into brewing, I had 10-12 cases of beer and was still picking up 12 packs at the beer store when I was going out. My cases were: Irish Stout, Chocolate Stout, Porter, Brown Ale, 2 IPAs, a Double IPA and a Amber Ale, loaded myself down with "big beers" and I was getting Sam Adams Light, Schlafly Summer Lager, Great Lakes' Dortmunder and beers like that for Summer drinking. I added a Summerfest, my first recipe creation, 3 years ago, and I can't keep it around in the winter, it's a 3.4% Lager that I use Ale yeast in. Cherry Wheat because SA can't seem to get it as right as I can ;) that comes in at 3.6 and a Lawnmower Ale, at 3.2%, mostly for my dad so he doesn't spring MGD 64 on me at the lakehouse, but I nailed the hops here recently that I keep a case for myself, and at <$15/case in materials it's a keeper on the bottom line alone.
Now my beer cellar, actually just a stack of cases in the back corner of my basement :D, is rounded out and I haven't bought commercial beer for myself, except for a 6er to sample, or harvest yeast from, in 2+ years.

It's not often you are going to spend 3-4 hours sweating in your yard, and feel the need for a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot to quench your thirst.

You can try to explain that low-ABV beers require more skill than big ones.

Definitely do not share your homebrew with these idiots. Any of it. They want to get tanked, they can buy.

I found, very quickly, that macro-beer-onomics :) is similar to micro. Where Yooper is talking about IBU/SG ratios, and the balance between flavors and tastes in a single beer. I found the same applied to my beer cellar rather quickly. After about 2-3 years into brewing, I had 10-12 cases of beer and was still picking up 12 packs at the beer store when I was going out. My cases were: Irish Stout, Chocolate Stout, Porter, Brown Ale, 2 IPAs, a Double IPA and a Amber Ale, loaded myself down with "big beers" and I was getting Sam Adams Light, Schlafly Summer Lager, Great Lakes' Dortmunder and beers like that for Summer drinking. I added a Summerfest, my first recipe creation, 3 years ago, and I can't keep it around in the winter, it's a 3.4% Lager that I use Ale yeast in. Cherry Wheat because SA can't seem to get it as right as I can ;) that comes in at 3.6 and a Lawnmower Ale, at 3.2%, mostly for my dad so he doesn't spring MGD 64 on me at the lakehouse, but I nailed the hops here recently that I keep a case for myself, and at <$15/case in materials it's a keeper on the bottom line alone.
Now my beer cellar, actually just a stack of cases in the back corner of my basement :D, is rounded out and I haven't bought commercial beer for myself, except for a 6er to sample, or harvest yeast from, in 2+ years.

It's not often you are going to spend 3-4 hours sweating in your yard, and feel the need for a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot to quench your thirst.

My next summer brew will be a fruit beer. I was thinking about brewing a cherry wheat actually. What's your recipe if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks,
J

You can try to explain that low-ABV beers require more skill than big ones.

Definitely do not share your homebrew with these idiots. Any of it. They want to get tanked, they can buy.

Yeah, I find myself often talking to people about homebrewing using words that makes me look very smart and that are far out of their vocab and think to myself, why are you still talking? It's hard for me to stop talking to someone about the hobby that I'm so passionate about, espcially when to them it's just a can of fizzy urine that him and his butt-buddy shotgun on the weekend.

I'm not talking about swmbo's BIL there b/c he is always legitimately interested in my brewing, especially when he gets all of the draft beer he wants when he comes over.

I brewed a very light blonde ale for my wife a few weeks ago and it's great! I made a 12 gallon batch that comes in at around 3.8% alcohol. I used extra light DME, honey, agave nectar and citra hops. Even my brother in law who loves Guiness likes it. But to be honest, I really don't care what people think about my brews, if they don't like it, they don't drink it, pretty simple. It's perfect for taking to the neighborhood pool in my portable kegerator, try taking an IPA or a DIPA to the pool.

I have no restrictions on my beer - I'll enjoy an Imperial Stout in the summer and a nice lager when it's cold. You know why? Because you're supposed to drink whatever the hell you want. I'll love a strong ale as much as the next guy but if you're the kind of guy who laughs at session beers, the only way you're coming to my Super Bowl party is if you:

A) Bring enough Rochefort 12 to keep everyone going for a while, or
B) Finish four 750mL bottles of said Rochefort on your own in front of me, then deal with my friends bothering you at 9PM telling you to get your hungover ass home.

Otherwise, enjoy your session beer. If they drink to get drunk, they're either wasting good money on high ABV ales without enjoying them, or should be drinking cheap vodka and Natty Ice instead. Brew what you like.

Nah, this last one was supposed to be 4.9%, but I had it attenuate more than planned, finishing at 1.008. Great for the taste, but it finished at 6%! Still better than the original 7.2% but not exactly a session beer.

I'm going to try again with "maltier" malts for the malt backbone and try to keep the IBU/SG ratio the same, and shoot for a lower OG. It's definitely the most challenging beer I've been trying to make to date.

(In a slightly "in awe" category, the authority I was asking advice from was John Palmer last evening. He spent quite a long time talking about recipe creation with me. Didn't get much advice on the session IPA but he told me his thoughts on my plans for a blonde dopplebock).

Meaning he couldn't get a word in edgewise! :D

Oh, snap! No he di-n't!

I just got back from the NHC, and I spoke to several great brewers about my goal- trying to make a really good but lower ABV IPA. It's extremely difficult to do, and I was asking advice from some well-known brewers to try to find out what would be the best way.

The Red Rock Brewing Company in Salt Lake has an IPA Junior that's ~3.2%. I was skeptical, but when I tried it I really enjoyed it.

The problem I have is that I tend to drink my IPA's like a session beer - except that doesn't work too well at 6.5% :drunk:

I've emailed Red Rock to get some pointers on their recipe, and if I hear back, I'll start a thread about it.....heck, I'll start a thread in the recipe/ingredients section anyway...

I wonder if you could brew a Pale with a bit more crystal, and a bit more hops, then dry hop it a bunch. Or mash a bit higher instead of more crystal...

I've been wanting to do a session beer for a while, but every time I think about brewing one, I end up brewing a Wit or Centennial Blonde instead...

The problem I have is that I tend to drink my IPA's like a session beer - except that doesn't work too well at 6.5% :drunk:

I have the same problem with IPA's.

Lets say I drink two, after that, I'm done. Once I get a bit of IPA in me, I can't help but keep that wonderful hop aroma right next to my face!

Yesterday I brewed a mild, and being true to the style, when finished it will probably be around 3% or so. I tell this to swmbo's brother-in-law and another friend of mine and they say it's stupid to waste my time on such a beer.

I suggest that you have them over for chili. Prepare your chili to what you consider a reasonable amount and then double or triple the scovilles for theirs. No need to let them know in advance, since they have already told you not to waste their time with less than full strength things.

I suggest that you have them over for chili. Prepare your chili to what you consider a reasonable amount and then double or triple the scovilles for theirs. No need to let them know in advance, since they have already told you not to waste their time with less than full strength things.

lol.

I'm really glad that most of us homebrewers enjoy all styles.

I haven't tried, but it seems like if you reduced the bittering hops quite a bit, and moved most of the bittering hops to flavor / aroma additions, you could still get a lot of hop flavor and aroma without being bitter to the point of being unbalanced.

To be honest, I've never even thought about brewing a session IPA. I'd imagine that would be quite difficult to produce a smaller beer with enough malt profile to handle a hopping load required by an IPA.

Have you had any success with this? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

I haven't tried, but it seems like if you reduced the bittering hops quite a bit, and moved most of the bittering hops to flavor / aroma additions, you could still get a lot of hop flavor and aroma without being bitter to the point of being unbalanced.

Isnt a session IPA just a Pale Ale? :confused:

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Agreed, but luckily, It's my girlfriends BIL and he's actually a very cool guy, but doesn't exactly see eye to eye with a lot of us homebrewers.

I just got back from the NHC, and I spoke to several great brewers about my goal- trying to make a really good but lower ABV IPA. It's extremely difficult to do, and I was asking advice from some well-known brewers to try to find out what would be the best way. It's definitely not easy. Right now, my current IPA is 6%. I'd like to be able to get it to 4.75% or so, but keep the same amount of great hops flavor.

The lowest ABV beer I brewed was a mild- I think around 3%. For a party last weekend, I brewed an oatmeal stout that was 3.12%. It was perfect for a summer party, and the keg disappeared quickly!

I'm actually planning on brewing a beer based on Brewdog's "How To Disappear Completely" which was an "imperial mild". 3.5% ABV but a strong hop flavor. Lots of low fermentability grain and tons of hops! I never had the real beer, but damned if I'm not going to try to make it

I can post the recipe I'm planning to use if anyone is interested

Don't listen to them. Session beers are just as tasty as other homebrews. Tell them to get bent.

some of my best brews have been low ABV brews. Also, yes beer is to get drunk with, but its also for taste and style. they come from the idea that natty ice is a good deal because it will get you wrecked quick. Its very difficult to convince a non believer. They all stick with BMC and are proud of the new gadgetry associated with their new beer purchase. (vortex bottle, windows "to see your beer is cold" lol). Really quite pathetic.

Back