Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Idea for a LHBS / BBQ shop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
lex990
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Idea for a LHBS / BBQ shop

Hey everyone,

Over the past several months we have been brainstorming business venture ideas for my current location. We are in a town of about 40,000+ people and there isn't much here aside from walmart and the typical grocery stores. It is a college town and it is a quite younger population as compared to other parts of Missouri with the same pop. I have seriously be brainstorming the idea of starting a LHBS and BBQ shop. I would like to have a decent stocked brew shop, with the possibility of having my liquor license to provide the public with craft brews not found in the area at walmart. I would want to start smaller and work up to a fully stocked brew shop if the demand is there. I would offer classes from basics to allgrain, and diy workshops covering the easy diy stuff of homebrew.

on the bbq level, I would try to carry all the general bbq supplies, get hooked up with a few of the ceramic smoker manufactures, and possible offer bbq classes covering smoker basics, chicken, brisket, butt, and ribs, and a UDS making class.

I have thought this out quite a bit and I think it would be a fun business journey that would be quite profitable after a year or so. I am working on getting in touch with other LHBS owners to get advice and guidance.

What do you guys think of the idea of a beer and bbq shop

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 3354

Check out Probrewer.com

Nothing against you we just like to stay on a at HOMEbrewtalk basis here.
Also 98% of the people on here probably have no idea about owning a LHBS/Smokehouse

Good luck wish you the best of luck! Sounds like a place i would be caught at

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 12-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
lex990
Recipes 

i'll check that out, thanks In my area I think i can get a place with decent location, utilities, and advertisement for around 1200 a month. i think profit can be made here

Honey... I'm just going out for a like an hour. We are only going to drink one or two and head home... I promise ;).

Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I think this would be the best place to guage the idea for a Local HomebrewShop and BBQ supply shop.

I think combining these 2 into one shop would be a good idea, including the classes. I would go there if my town had one. Only issue I see with it is the college town, I don't know how many college students want to have good beer instead of just lots of beer

Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Put a strip club in the back for the trifecta! Your idea is sound and if there was a store like this nearby, I would have checked it out upon first sight.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
lex990
Recipes 

i am in the planning stage, I'll come up with the business model and find out what is the least it would take to get by on for the first year and go from there. good thing about it as it won't be something that if it fails will bankrupt my family like a franchise establishment or other large investment. worst case is i have to ebay everything to get out if it doesn't work. I think with proper planning, it may be a fun and interesting business. my only problem is i have little wine knowledge, and i would need to find at least 1-2 other employees with decent brewing knowledge as well

Old 12-08-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex990
my only problem is i have little wine knowledge
There are plenty of HBS's that have little brewing knowledge. Why not make a wine kit or two, so you're not completely talking out of your butt and you'll probably be better off than many places.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
lex990
Recipes 

iwatched my grandpa make wine a lot back in the day but this has been 20 years ago... i still have his apple press and equipment. i guess i need to venture in to that area. just don't like the stuff to drink that well

Old 12-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex990 View Post
iwatched my grandpa make wine a lot back in the day but this has been 20 years ago... i still have his apple press and equipment. i guess i need to venture in to that area. just don't like the stuff to drink that well
Let customers use the apple press in the store, that's a great point of difference.
Alos as mentioned some LHBS range of knowledge stops even before the frist edition of how to brew was release. Even been slightly up with the play on the wine thing would be better than a lot of other places

Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
lex990
Recipes 

thinking something like this fast sketch up for the logo only much better drawn out... this is just a fast gimp sketchup, probably go more art decoish

screen-shot-2012-12-08-4.47.31-pm.jpg  

Quick Reply