I love brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
My wife wants to kill me. I can't hold a conversation without talking about beer. I always want to make another recipe. Try new things. I would brew a couple times a week if possible. I brewed the last 3 weekends and I just any get enough.

Now she wants me I only brew once a month. Weak......

I guess it gives me more time to prepare for that batch.

Anyone else have this problem?

My wife doesn't have a hobby except for hanging out with me, but she doesn't want to brew with me.:(

What can I have my wife do instead of ***** at me about brewing?

I don't have a wife, but I did go thru a very obsessive stage. My friends were all sick of me talking about beer. Now I just keep my obsession to myself, but it's still there! I don't know what you can do about your wife. Does she like wine? Brew her a batch of wine, and maybe she'll gain more interest.

Don't talk to her about it if she's not interested in it. That's the definition of a bore. You have to accept that she will never be into it.

Get up asscrack of dawn to brew. That's what I do. Night before, I've got grain milled and water in the keggle. 5:00 am I'm up brewing, and I'm cleaning up by the time she's getting up. I brew outside too, so I'm not creating a big mess in the kitchen. Do that and she won't care (at least mine doesn't).

My wife actually likes to brew with me. I keep it to every other weekend so its not overwhelming for her. She loves to go antiquing and garadge sale shoping. I show a interest for her hobby and all is well. Spend a weekend with her with something she likes to do and dont mention brewwing or anything related, She will notice.

5 years ago my wife said I should give homebrewing a try. I dont know that she realized how far I would take it in 5 years and how far I plan on taking it from here. But its been an amazing run so far and its only getting better.

i live in a duplex with very limited space. Its quite amusing i have fermenters , empty bottles, full bottles, gear, and hoses coming out of every inch of my cabinets. That is the only part my girl gets upset about. She loves the final product so i get pass. She is a chef and i love to cook so it combines these things quite well!

My wife doesn't have a hobby except for hanging out with me, but she doesn't want to brew with me.:(

I feel for you man because my wife is the same way! She complains about my brewing but she won't brew with me, complains about the fact that I'm brewing instead of "spending time with her". And yet, she enjoys drinking my beers! :confused::mug:

My wife likesme to plan brewing for when she is out and about due to the smell, but we hang out and drink the final product!

My wife is ok with it. She has mentioned the "obsession" a couple of times, but I've toned it down over the years. You will learn to limit your discussion of your obsession with certain people in a few years.

Just be aware that if you are bitten hard enough, it might take a WHILE for you to settle down. There are years of upgrades and experiments coming your way.

Mine is happy for me to go play in the garage and leave her alone to study (grad student). Don't know how many times Ive heard 'don't you have something beer related to be doing'?

still get the eye roll when i ramble on about ingredients, hydrometer measurement, and fermentation though.

My wife says she doesn't have a problem with my brewing and loves the final product... and has even said she wants to learn how to brew with me...

Now... reality... when I brew I start making my starter 2 to 3 days out depending on my schedule and that's when the mumbling and grumbling... all of a sudden I'm needed elsewhere and when I don't hop to, then I'm the A$$hole! Then on brew day... all excited at the opportunity to help and learn and I'm happy to have someone to brew with... Reality... I set everything up and when it's time to mill the grain she helps by operating the drill motor! After that, she sits back and reads a book... On occasion I can break her away long enough to help dough in, but that's about it. Don't dream about help with clean up... stupid question...
And finally, I have 1 closet in my house that stays 71F year around and my fermentors (hidden out of sight in a closet) are interfering with a location for hand towels and such!

So, we feel your pain! Just know you're not the only one!

My wife wants to kill me. I can't hold a conversation without talking about beer. I always want to make another recipe. Try new things. I would brew a couple times a week if possible. I brewed the last 3 weekends and I just any get enough.

Now she wants me I only brew once a month. Weak......

I guess it gives me more time to prepare for that batch.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have the EXACT same problem as you. My wife will drink the beer but doesn't want to hear about any of the process. Also, we have a toddler running around the house, so on weekends my wife gets pretty irritated if I take 1/2 the day brewing and leave her to all the parenting duties. I had the once a month to once every other month ban slapped on me.

In order to combat this sometimes I will do an extract batch which doesn't take as long. I'll do that in the evening or after she goes to bed. That way, she can't complain about it. She has plenty of other things to complain about but this way brewing isn't one of them.

Just as a "PS" to my last post, I take a handful of vacation days each year to brew when my wife is working to avoid this problem. I realize that not everyone has that option. But if you do have that option, put it to good use.....just make sure you start early and that the kitchen is clean before she gets home from work!!

wives....I tell ya....they're all the same.

My wife got me a home brewing kit thus getting me into it & she likes the product but really doesnt care to help. She complains because I can never keep it clean enough.

Same thing with fishing. My wife likes catching fish, but she has little appreciation for what goes into it.

Sounds pretty typical

cheers!

Same here guys,my SWMBO bought me a beer kit about 12 years ago and it took off
from there.She cant stand the technical talk,but passively listens.1 thing I`ve got goin`
for me though is she likes the final product and finally after 12 years she helps me bottle.
Thats only because I have to make Vanilla Cream Ale twice a month :).Remember if they bought you the first kit,you`ve got some ammo on a disagreement.

Brew on Bro`s

My wife got me started by buying me the equipment. She likes good beer, but rarely drinks. She likes it that I have a hobby that I am pasionate about, and just understands that I love brewing so she understands that early Saturday mornings are my brew times. I am usually done by noon or a little later, so if we want to do something the rest of the day is open.

I do talk about it a lot and she has learned the lingo. She has even come up with some good descriptions of my brews because she has a really good taste for beer, and can pick up flavors and describe them well.

What's SWMBO?

It's good to hear there so many others with the same deal. Lol. I made an agreement with my wife too. Once a month and only in the early mornings. Lucky for me I usually get up at 7am and she does t wake up till 10am on the weekends. It gives me a good 3 hour head start. I just need to work on cutting back on talking about brewing. Hopefully this banana bread beer in making for her will change her mind.

CHEERS!

What's SWMBO?

Hopefully this banana bread beer in making for her will change her mind.

She Who Must Be Obeyed. An affectionate term for our better halves.

+1 for beer bread. My wife LOVES it and always asks when I'm gonna make it again.

TyTanium said:
She Who Must Be Obeyed. An affectionate term for our better halves.

+1 for beer bread. My wife LOVES it and always asks when I'm gonna make it again.

You made banana bread beer? What was your recipe?

You made banana bread beer? What was your recipe?

Just regular beer bread, but I'd imagine adding bananas is easy.

3 c flour (sifted, it makes a difference...fluffy vs brick)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 c sugar
12 oz beer
1/4 c melted butter

Mix, pour into a buttered loaf pan. 375 for ~45mins (until toothpick comes out clean). I usually brush extra melted butter over the top for the last 2-3 mins.

I've used tons of different beers, and Miller high-life is my favorite, go figure. Hoppy beers make it too bitter. Dark beers are fine, but not great. Malty beers are great, but a little too sweet. Light beers are awesome.

I guess I am part of the lucky few. SWMBO asks me to brew when she is going to be around to help. It never hurts to have a second set of hands when brewing. The problem is our schedules are drastically conflicted so I usually end up brewing on my own time then she gets all put off because I didnt wait for her to help me. so I have taken to picking up ingredients for 2 brews every time. One for me to take care of the brew bug that nags me all week listening to my lovelies bubbling away in ferment. And one for her to help me with when we get around to it, usually something she enjoys drinking, she still hasn't picked up a liking for the hopilicious brews that I prefer. This year I have been brewing more than ever, its got me thinking that the 200 gal cap might be an issue. I cant help it as my equipment gets more efficient and I become more knowlegable my brews are getting better and I have time and space to brew more, more often. I think that SWMBO's tolerance is going to start deteriorating if I keep up this torrid pace.

Long story short... I have a problem.

Back