Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I don't see the point in Bud Light bashing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
newell456
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default I don't see the point in Bud Light bashing.

I’ve seen a lot of Bud light bashing (or light American Beer bashing) in general on this site and among home brewers in general, and although I understand it, I think that it’s counter productive among non homebrewers and the people that drink bud light and other beer-like substances. As homebrewers, we all have friends that think it’s cool that we homebrew and mention that when introducing us to others, say, at the bar. You’ve probably met a few people that say something about you not liking bud light or even a few that immediately see us as snobs. I know I have, and it’s because they have met a few beer snobs before. If someone hands me a bud light, I don’t call it piss water. I say, "thanks" (it's free beer.) When I'm talking to people about homebrewing, say at a bar, they ask what I think about American Light Beers, and I tell them the truth: that I appreciate any beer and that these beers are some of the hardest to reproduce because they're so delicate. I leave out the stuff I dislike. I've had this conversation a lot in a local bar that has a lot of beers on tap, and I usually will drink a BL with them and explain the different characteristics (not many, though). I also explain that it's a lager, and that I don't do lagers for various reasons. You'd be surprised how much BL drinkers can get interested in other beers once you don't insult their beer of choice and tell them what you can appreciate about it. If you did insult their beer, they are more likely to get defensive. If this peaks their interest, the conversation then moves to other beer styles, which I explain in comparison to what they're use to (this has more hops, malty character, etc). Then I suggest we try a microbrew ale with a lighter body that's not too hoppy (more approachable for Light beer drinkers) and I mention how the beer differs. Beer, in general, is an acquired taste. Since I made an effort to appreciate their beer of choice, they usually return the favor and try to appreciate something new. Had I started out with “bud light sucks” I doubt they would try another beer, and if they did, they’d probably find things they disliked about it rather than things that they liked about it. I’ve converted a few BL drinkers to ale drinkers, or at least to people that can appreciate a good ale from time to time. And I like sitting down at the bar and not being thought of as a snob.

You'll inevitably run into people that will never appreciate anything but a mass produced, American beer. My stepdad is like this, and he makes no apologies, since this is America and he'll drink what he damn-well pleases.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Suppose he'll still feel that way when the American beer is made by a Belgian company?

Old 07-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Is the role of the critic to destroy that which is bad to make way for the good?

http://appellationbeer.com/blog/a-be...shing-the-bad/

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BMC-Bashing is what all the cool kids are doing. It lets people feel superior by turning up their nose at what the majority of the world drinks...makes 'em feel special by declaring to everyone who'll listen, "hey, guess what, my palate is so freakin' refined that I don't like American Lite Lager!" I'll usually defend BMC from the elitists, even though I do have my own particular criticisms (like my disgust with Rolling Rock and Heiny for their hideous skunked flavors.)

And eventually, inevitably, someone will make a reference to its supposed comparability to urine. It's the beer forum equivalent of Godwin's Law, "BMC's Law": As a discussion on BMC grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving urine approaches one.

I find it all very boring and tiresome. Drink what you like and stop bashing an entire style because you think it makes you look more refined.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
And eventually, inevitably, someone will make a reference to its supposed comparability to urine. It's the beer forum equivalent of Godwin's Law, "BMC's Law": As a discussion on BMC grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving urine approaches one.
I hereby dub it "Evan's Law."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't care what other people drink. If someone offers me a Bud Light though, I'll say no. Am I a snob? You bet. I know what I like and I'm not going to drink something that I really dislike.

I also like talking s@!t to people, so it is fun to make fun of awful beer, especially in the bars I frequent. I have two world class beer bars within 3 miles of my house, and there's not really any crappy beer served there, so I'm lucky, but I still find ways to make fun of people.

I am a jerk and I know it. Do I care? No. Will I forever make fun of Bud Light? You bet. I do what I love and I know enough to not sound like an idiot when I talk about it. This doesn't mean I'm better than them, but that will never stop me from making fun of them and their awful beer.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
BMC-Bashing is what all the cool kids are doing. It lets people feel superior by turning up their nose at what the majority of the world drinks...makes 'em feel special by declaring to everyone who'll listen, "hey, guess what, my palate is so freakin' refined that I don't like American Lite Lager!"
And that's what I run into when someone learns that I homebrew; they either say something like "cool", or they seem to think off the bat that I'm a beer snob, and from hearing others in bars talk smack about BMCs (which is always bound to piss someone off), I can see why.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I also don't tell people I make my own beer very often. Most people don't care.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I don't care what other people drink. If someone offers me a Bud Light though, I'll say no. Am I a snob? You bet. I know what I like and I'm not going to drink something that I really dislike.

I also like talking s@!t to people, so it is fun to make fun of awful beer, especially in the bars I frequent. I have two world class beer bars within 3 miles of my house, and there's not really any crappy beer served there, so I'm lucky, but I still find ways to make fun of people.

I am a jerk and I know it. Do I care? No. Will I forever make fun of Bud Light? You bet. I do what I love and I know enough to not sound like an idiot when I talk about it. This doesn't mean I'm better than them, but that will never stop me from making fun of them and their awful beer.
So, what kind of wonderfully clever little bud light jokes do you have in your repertoire? Do you restrict your bashing to certain kinds of American Lager, or are you an equal opportunity sh*t-talker? If the latter, then, is your problem with the style(s) in general and the fact that they even exist, or just with the brands themselves?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Not sure how you reconcile this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Am I a snob? You bet.
along with this:
Quote:
I also like talking s@!t to people, so it is fun to make fun of awful beer, especially in the bars I frequent....I still find ways to make fun of people.
To this:
Quote:
This doesn't mean I'm better than them
I'm not a fan of banana/clove beer and I don't see the reason for adding chocolate and rasberries to a perfectly good stout.

Does this mean I'm going to start a "bash this style" thread or go to the local pub and ridicule people for drinking these beers? Not hardly.

To each his own. If you love beer...you love beer.

Leave the fellow beer drinkers of the world the f<ck alone and go pick on some wine drinking wussies.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply