How should I store my grains and hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmowry

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing and I've made three batches so far all grain BIAB and I was wondering how long does the unmilled grain last if I save some for another batch I make one gallon batches for now due to small space and it being my first time and don't use full 1oz packets of hops so I am also wondering can I save the hops if I seal the packet in a ziplock bag

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can store unmilled grain in an airtight container at room temperature for 12-18 months. Sealed hops can be stored in the freezer for several years. I have 1lb hop bags that are 2 years old and have noticed virtually no degredation.

Okay cool thank you for the quick reply

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hops will degrade faster if there is moisture and oxygen in the bag. I break my one pound bags into one or two ounces, purge with co2, and vacuum seal. If I know it will be used within a month I will seal it in a sandwich bag. Always stored in the freezer.

Grains should be sealed air tight in a cool, dry, dark place. I use food safe buckets from Lowe's.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

This is a timely question for me. For grains, I use them fast enough that I'm not worried about my storage method. However, I do wonder how long hops will last in a freezer in the mylar bag they came in, but opened and simply closed with a clothes pin. I just bought a few pounds of hop pellets (tired of paying the prices for an ounce at a time). The cascade I know I'll use up quickly, but a couple of the other varieties, particularly the chinook, I think will sit in my freezer for several months before being used.

With hops, snip off a corner from the large top flap so you can dispense the hops. To close, fold that corner over and then fold the rest of the flap over a few times while squeezing as much air out of that original mylar bag. Seal the flap down with some 2" packing/shipping tape. Store in freezer. I've had hops for 2 years that way with absolutely no detectable degradation.

Buy a foodsaver. 30 bucks well spent.

For the grain, I went with food grade buckets and omni-seal lids. A little more expensive, but they are easy to open and close. They also stack nicely.

Omni seal are the ****! I'm still young and strong, so I have a cheap bucket opener and cheap lids though :(

I use a foodsaver and a soda stream to package my hops. Last buy was three pounds. It cost me about ten dollars to purge and package them properly for long term storage.

Fwiw they are almost gone after two months. Possibly overkill there, but good for larger buys

Back