How much flaked oats is too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm

Reaction score
I am going to be making an extract wheat brew with some specialty grains and flaked oats and was wondering how much flaked oats I should use. I know it is based upon a percentage of the total fermentables but have no idea how much is too much. Would 20% be too much? Should I aim for like 10% or is it much less?

Well, for starters Beersmith says 30% is the max. I'm sure that's for something like an oatmeal stout. Not sure how much you wanna put in a wheat beer.

I wouldn't put oats in a wheat beer in the first place, but I strongly suspect if you go over 10% you'll have an oat beer, as wheat is a rather subtle flavor.

Flaked oats isn't really going to get you anything in an extract beer except starch. You need enzymes to convert starch to sugar as usually happens in beers with oats. Without the enzymes of a mash you won't get any fermentables out of flaked oats. Complete waste to use without at least a mini-mash.

I wouldn't put oats in a wheat beer in the first place, but I strongly suspect if you go over 10% you'll have an oat beer, as wheat is a rather subtle flavor.

Valid point, you could put some two row or light crystal malts in for enzymes.

Valid point, you could put some two row or light crystal malts in for enzymes.

10L crystal may have negligible enzymes but not enough to help with adjuncts. The OP would need 6 row, pilsen, 2 row, down to vienna or maybe a light munich. I wouldn't bother with crystal though, kilned too high.

Latest posts

Back