*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > How Many Batches Before You Made A Dumper

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

For me batch number 001 was terrible and I dumped it, an extract Mr. Beer kit. Batch 2 all grain my own recipe was great, the next 43 have just gotten better.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Dumped my first batch . I didn't know what to sparge was, and simply added water until it hit 5 gallons. Worst beer ever.
Next one after that was a Blue Moon clone that I 1) under pitched and 2) over heated (fermented around 85). Awful taste so I let it sit for a month and drank it anyway once it settled a bit. Harsh, but not dumpable.

27 gallons later no need to dump

Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
spannaflicka
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dumped on accidentally. Came home to find a leaking beer hose and a empty co2 tank

Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

i dumped my 2nd AG beer.. done a couple dozen since then and none that bad.. so i chalk it up to inexperience :-)

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Geohound
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

My first 2 all grain. Temps got away from me and I'm sure i under-pitched, they turned into undrinkable fruity ester drain cleaners. Was horrible opening 10 gal of beer in 12oz bottles and dumping them down the drain. Since then I've got temp control taken care of and no problems (yet).

Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have dumped one batch from lacto. Out of hundreds!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
krahm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first batch never made it into bottles. 'Just followed a bunch of bad advice on that one. I just didn't want to drink it. The second batch was almost as bad. That made it into bottles, but it just tasted like you-know-what). After that they got better, but my extract beers were never very good (seriously browned from boiling on an electric stove, even with mostly late-addition DME--they tended to have a molasses aftertaste, too). I've seen the "never dump a batch" sticky, but I would rather have fun brewing again, correct my mistakes, and drink better beer in the end. It's win-win, IMO. The whole reason I homebrew is because I'm picky about my beer. I want to make stuff that I want to drink.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannaflicka View Post
I dumped on accidentally. Came home to find a leaking beer hose and a empty co2 tank

I lost the equivalent of a bottle or two of my first batch due to an insufficiently tightened spigot in my bottling bucket. Dripped constantly and quickly. Mad for a frenetic and stressful first bottling experience.
Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 07-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #19
MrTheKing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

#2 was a dumper because I overcarbed all the bottles, lucky #13 was a dumper due to being just plain ol gross. It was my third all grain, no idea what happened. It was my second run at that recipe and was super bummed since the first one turned out really good. Everything's been spot on since then (fingers crossed!)

Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #20
louie0202
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have brewed probably about 10 - 15 batches.........I have dumped 3 - 5 for various reasons....Batch #2 tasted horrible....2 were saisons (discovered too late I dont like saisons)and I had a bad thermometer and had 2 beers in the pipe line brewed back to back that were bad.........so hopefully the bad streak is over...

I have a Northern Brewer Farmhouse going right now (which is similar to saison) and a Barley Wine brewing right now.

Primary #1: French Saison (AG), Orval Clone (AG), The Number Eight (AG), Argentine Malbec, Belgian Blonde (AG)

Quick Reply