How does this stout look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello I converted a stout recipe on here down to 2.75 gallons and have been tweaking on it trying to get the color and alcohol up a little bit. I thought I would run it by you guys on here to see if I am good to go, or if I need to tweak a little bit more. If someone could help steer me in the right direction I would appriciate it. Thanks. Here is the recipe:

2.75 Gallons
60 minute boil
OG- 1.053
FG- 1.013
Color- 27.5 SRM
ABV- 5.24
IBU- 27.8

4.25lb-2 Row Pale malt
.3125lb-2 Row Caramel Malt 60
.5lb- Chocolate Malt
.38lb- Flaked Oats, Toasted 75 minutes in the oven
.125lb- Roasted Barley
MASH- 90 Minutes at 150 degrees

.90oz- East Kent Goldings, 55 minutes

White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Whirlfloc Tablet, 15 mintues

5.2 stabilizer

Well what do yall think?

Hello I converted a stout recipe on here down to 2.75 gallons and have been tweaking on it trying to get the color and alcohol up a little bit. I thought I would run it by you guys on here to see if I am good to go, or if I need to tweak a little bit more. If someone could help steer me in the right direction I would appriciate it. Thanks. Here is the recipe:

2.75 Gallons
60 minute boil
OG- 1.053
FG- 1.013
Color- 27.5 SRM
ABV- 5.24
IBU- 27.8

4.25lb-2 Row Pale malt
.3125lb-2 Row Caramel Malt 60
.5lb- Chocolate Malt
.38lb- Flaked Oats, Toasted 75 minutes in the oven
.125lb- Roasted Barley
MASH- 90 Minutes at 150 degrees

.90oz- East Kent Goldings, 55 minutes

White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Whirlfloc Tablet, 15 mintues

5.2 stabilizer

Well what do yall think?

you dont have to toast the oats. althought it would prob be a nice flavor. but i think 75 min is too long? they should turn 'brown/toasty' looking in 20 min? also i like more barley than choc malt. you have it in the reverse order, at least for my taste. this kind of looks like a porter recipe, but i dont do porters...

also with the 90 min mash and the Irish yeast, the beer will be super s u p e r SUPER dry! personally i hate irish stout/ale yeast. i dont like dry stouts. i use S-05 or 1056 for stouts.. again all my preference..

have fun!

:ban:

ty for the info, so definitely a 60 minute mash with that yeast huh?

yes i think you would be alright with 60 min. maybe 65 or 75 if you really like the dry. I do my milk stout at 75 min but thats at 156deg...

wait a day or two and see what some the more experienced members say, but I'd say that 60 min at 150 is good enuff, especially with the Irish Yeast.

I've done my 5g stouts with 1LBS of Roasted Barley Malt and 2Lbs quaker oats and they come out rich and dark and smooth, there is no mistaking you've used roasted. Delicious. You could maybe up the oats. I've never done a stout with chocolate malt I can't comment on its affect. If you leave it as is I'm sure it'll be a tasty beer. The question is how stout do you want your stout?

Latest posts

Back