Hops Score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzyfun

Reaction score
Went to my LHBS today to see if they had re-opened yet after moving locations. Not only had they re-opened but they were having a 50% off sale on leaf hops! Ended up leaving with:

Apollo-2 pounds $16
Centennial-1 pound $7
Cascade-1 pound $7
Amarillo-1 pound $8
Chinook-1 pound $8
and some Simcoe that wasn't on sale. Too bad they didn't have any Citra, Simcoe or Mosaic on sale.
Under $0.50 per ounce isn't too bad. Guess there'll be some IPA's in my immediate brewing future. Now to find room in the freezer.

Not to be a downer but...
Main reason for those hop sales are for last years crop.
Rub some together or pull back the bract (leaf) and check aroma/resin
You also said they just moved locations, hopefully the hops were not out of the freezer for to many weeks.

Leaf hops are also a guessing game when it comes to hop utilization.
I try to use all leaf for dry hopping though. They dont cloud the beer as much as pellet
Whole leaf cascade is great.

No problem with using hops from a season or even 2 seasons past as long as they're stored properly. They're all vacuum sealed. Most were in their freezer, some in fridge. There's a AA% loss calculator somewhere, I'll probably consult it before using them although there was a thread on here somewhere that said that loss is so minimal it likely won't make a difference. Wish me luck. Using some this weekend.

Back