Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrewing in a CT Condo Complex

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
ArcticBear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Homebrewing in a CT Condo Complex

posted this in a local thread but want to get some advice on where i should go from here...

"so.... was brewing an AG batch tonight, out of the front of my garage, minding my own business.

got 25 minutes into the boil and some older guy drives up and summons me over to his car. asking what i was "cooking" then was shocked when i told him i was brewing beer. he asked if i had an open flame, saying that propane tanks like the one i was using were "illegal in the complex" and then rudely told me he was the president of the homeowners association and was going to have to report me for my conduct. i was trying to not play hardball and comply and i just politely told the guy that i was watching it the entire time and had about a half hour left and asked if i was allowed to finish up this batch etc blah blah blah and his response "well it doesnt matter what you do, i'm already reporting you"

F*ck you buddy... looks like going forward i'm just going to have to keep my garage door closed most of the way... turns out this is less safe than if they just let me do it my way... im just expecting a phone call tomorrow from these *ssholes.

that being said i moved into this place in september. within the 2nd week there was a hole that fell through the ceiling because of rain, which still isnt fixed... if this is addressed before that hole in the ceiling is repaired i'm going to go apesh*t"

has anyone else dealt with condo complexes and homebrewing woes? what was the resolve? Electric brewing is not an option at this point and i'm not scaling down and back to stove top extract batches... i finally got my process down for 10 gallon AG batches

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1002 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 2073

I would find out what the association rules are for outdoor propane grills. What you are doing is no different than grilling.

People Like This 
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I would find out what the association rules are for outdoor propane grills. What you are doing is no different than grilling.
on the deck of our unit we have a grill that is piped into the natural gas. i guess the landlord got that passed through the homeowners association.

but there are multiple people with gas grilles (either natural gas or propane from the looks of it)

from what the guy was saying, propane grilles aren't allowed in the complex, despite the various people who have them.

But riddle me this. why would a propane burner be more of a hazard than a converted natural gas bbq grille... to me it seems like it would be more unsafe a hardline running around/through the building of natural gas than just a short 3 ft run from a propane tank to the burner...

Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2679 Times on 1593 Posts
Likes Given: 5843

As long as you're not brewing on top of flammable material, you should be fine. In New London, when I lived in my apartment there, they wouldn't let me use a burner on my wood balcony, but in a garage, I can't see them not allowing that. You're probably just dealing with some douchebag (just found out that passes the censorship filter) who thinks he's better than everyone else. Otherwise he would have given you **** regardless of what you were "cooking."

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
+HopSpunge+
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

I would switch your stuff over to electric and brew infront of your garage. Then put dog poop in a paper bag and set it on his front porch, light it on fire ,and run away.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
As long as you're not brewing on top of flammable material, you should be fine. In New London, when I lived in my apartment there, they wouldn't let me use a burner on my wood balcony, but in a garage, I can't see them not allowing that. You're probably just dealing with some douchebag (just found out that passes the censorship filter) who thinks he's better than everyone else. Otherwise he would have given you **** regardless of what you were "cooking."
i saw your transition to figuring out the filter...very tasteful hahah

and yeah its at the end of my garage, because my driveway is sloped and wouldn't be stable.

regardless, i never walk away from it for more than a minute (if i have to piss)

i know it wouldn't be illegal in the state, i'm just worried about/annoyed about having to deal with the Condo association over this.

i contacted my landlord to discuss it with him but i likely won't get any resolutions tonight, i'm just filled with anger inside about this. i finally am at the age where i can afford to live in a nice place, about as close to owning a home (setting wise) as i can get, and now i'm told - even though im 26, am entrusted with working on medical mammo and xray equipment, that i'm not trustworthy enough to operating a fuggin propane burner

Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #7
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by +HopSpunge+ View Post
I would switch your stuff over to electric and brew infront of your garage. Then put dog poop in a paper bag and set it on his front porch, light it on fire ,and run away.
i just bought a 20gallon boiler maker and a blichmann floor standing burner... i'm not switching over to electric...

Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 198

So this is debate able... But personally I hide the hell out of my burner and brew at night on my balcony with totes stacked up so nobody can see what I'm doing.

When not in use I throw it in a tote and pack it into my garage with the propane tank. Just in case of inspections.

Anyway, hope you can get it settled. People panic when they see jet cookers. And associations seriously suck

Old 12-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
ArcticBear
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 241 View Post
So this is debate able... But personally I hide the hell out of my burner and brew at night on my balcony with totes stacked up so nobody can see what I'm doing.

When not in use I throw it in a tote and pack it into my garage with the propane tank. Just in case of inspections.

Anyway, hope you can get it settled. People panic when they see jet cookers. And associations seriously suck
it would be more unsafe to brew off of my deck/balcony and it would also be more visible from the street (i have an end unit condo) to my knowledge the units are all independently owned and there are no inspections done at any time.

i agree a jet burner can look intimidating if you look at the flame, but there is no way this guy saw anything from where he was, he was 20ft away at the bottom of the driveway in a car, where in the driveway was my vehicle and the burner infront of it.

not to mention, when you have a 20gallon pot on the floor burner (even with the leg extensions) the wind guard hides any visible flame. I normally have a chair sitting in my garage where i clean/prep/listen to music and i cant see anything other than a subtle blue glow reflecting from the pot... its not high enough to lick the sides and its not orange and wild... just a small controlled, contained heat source

Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 AM   #10
Torkermax
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Its not really homebrewing that is the issue. Its having an open flame in a garage. Condo rules are usually pretty strict about this as all the units are connected. A fire in one unit risk a fire in all of them. Its one of those sucky things about condo/commune living. My closest neighbor is 4.5 mi. as the crow flys

Quick Reply