Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Hobby or Job?

View Poll Results: Hobby or Job
Hobby 77 53.47%
Hobby(maybe a job in the future) 57 39.58%
Job right now 10 6.94%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
Barnstormer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I think for me, this would be a case of if you do something you love to do, you'll never work a day in your life. Even right now I enjoy being part of something that is rooted in centuries of history. If I took it to the next level and got my beer out in the marketplace, then I would feel like I have left my mark on the legacy that is beer. That would be a great thing!

"A man never steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man." -Heraclitus (On the wall of the Glenwood Canyon Brewpub)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I spent a day last year with one of the brewers at our local brewery. The brewery was started by a few homebrewing brothers and a friend that was a chemist. His take on it was that he really missed the fun of homebrewing, and playing with recipes. As a comercial brewery they have to brew the same beers over and over again and have to worry about them tasting the same each time. There is the whole business side to worry about also. I surprisingly there isnt alot of brewing going on. He said 90% of the time is kegging, cleaning, and paperwork. On this tuesday morning, that still doesnt sound that bad.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Oh god, I read this as 'hoppy or job' and starting thinking about whether I would give up IPAs or quit my job first.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
and starting thinking about whether I would give up IPAs or quit my job first.
that's a tough one...

Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 426

It’ll definitely stay a hobby. It might be my paranoid OCD personality, but I don’t want have to worry about pleasing customers with my beer. I’ve had many offers to buy my homebrew. I always use the, “It’s illegal” excuse, but truth is brewing is fun now. If I had to worry about someone thinking that they didn’t get their money’s worth, it would take away the pleasure I get from sharing with friends.
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
Lgaddy44
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just a hobby here. Like many others, I think if I was obligated, it would take a lot of the fun out of it. I was planning on kegging a batch on Sunday, but just didnt feel like it. I had no qualms about putting it off a day. You can do that when it's a hobby.

Maybe years from now, if I'm in a position where I'm not dependent upon X amount of annual income, I may look into working at an already established brewery, but I doubt I'd have the cajones to risk it all on a startup of my own.

Maverick Moon Miner Brewing

Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
Christ872
Recipes 

This is only a hobby for me.

I have no interest in it being a job. I don't have the attention span nor the attention to detail to have it be a job where other people rely on me. I am keen on details like santation...but if my recipe calls for 3 Lb of extract and I put in 2.98Lb or 3.06Lb I really ain't giving a crap. If a recipe calls for a dry hop at day 5 and I put it in at day 4...whoopty doo. This is a hobby and I love what I'm doing.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Hobby for me at this point. I think at some point everyone thinks it would be fun to be able to run a brewpub and market their beers, but I think I remember someone saying at some point that being a professional brewer is (paraphrasing big time) like 1% brewing, 9% cleaning, and 90% paperwork, invoices, tax preparation, and all the other not fun stuff involved in running a business.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #29
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Getting pretty close to opening my own nano. It's been a great process. Through my current job in local agriculture and the nano project I have gotten to know a lot of other local businesspeople. One thing I have learned is that entrepreneurs work very, very, very hard. Like all the time. During harvest season some of the winery guys work from 5 AM-midnight.

The thing is, all my friends who work white-collar jobs hate them. I'd rather work long hours at a job I like than a regular 9-5 souless job.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Its the standard pipe dream of most HBT'ers when they first start out and the obsession sets in.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply