Help with a 1 gallon recipe......please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirkwooder

Emperor of all things nobody cares about
Reaction score
I am looking to brew a test batch of pale ale that is somewhat close in flavor, body, and color to Saranac Pale Ale. I have found this thread....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/saranac-pale-ale-clone-114258/

But haven't got much input. Anyway, I would like to end up with a house recipe that uses the hops that I grow. I have lots of Cascade, Willamette, Centennial, and Fuggles hops.

In the above thread, Bob suggests 90% 2 row to 10% crystal 60 for a 5 gallon batch. If I have done my math right that works out to 1.8# 2 row and.2# of crystal 60, with .2 oz of 8%AA bittering hop at 60 min., and .1 oz of cascades at flame out for a 1 gallon batch.

Does anyone have any input on witch hops I should use to bitter and if I will need to adjust the amount?

Also, where should I mash? My thought would be to mash the test batch at 152*. No logical reason for this train of thought though.:drunk:
I would love to come up with a fuller bodied PA with a good lasting head, but not have it overly sweet.

Now, I use a lot of US-05, and like it, would you suggest anything different in a dry yeast?

Thanks, in advance everybody! This site rocks!!!! :rockin::rockin::rockin:

Well, this is pure speculation as I've never had it, but the math works for me (using hops you currently have) -

Saranac APA - American Pale Ale
==============================
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 12.9 P
FG: 2.5 P
ABV: 5.5%
Bitterness: 33.4 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 9 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================
Name Type Amount
Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 1.750 lb
Briess - Carapils Malt Grain 3.000 oz
Briess - Caramel Malt 60L Grain 3.000 oz
Total grain: 2.125 lb

Hops
===============================
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Fuggles 5.0% 0.200 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 19.8
Willamette 4.5% 0.200 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 8.8
Cascade 6.0% 0.200 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 4.7

Yeast
===============================
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash low and long - 148 for 90min. That'll dry it out.

That should get you in the ball park, at least in their discriptor - but really the star of the show is the Bramling Cross hops. None of your current hops will match what that offers, so if you want that aroma and flavor you really need to get some. If you did, that'd be the dry hop/whirl pool hop at flame out. As long as you're ordering hops I'd also get some EKG, and put that in where the Willamette is.

My .03 with inflation.

I'm headed to my lhbs later today to pick up some of this stuff. I'd like to also try and ad some rye to a test batch some time. How much rye, and what should I take out If I ad rye?

Back