Gusher mystery solved..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
This one was driving me nuts.

Brewed an Amber Ale. It is a recipe that my wife likes so I always have some around and have brewed it several times. OG 1.059--FG 1.012.

Fermenter for 4 weeks. Been in bottles for 5 weeks now. Tried first one at 3 weeks. I am very meticulous about sanitizing the bottles. Always leave them in the fridge for a few days before opening. This is what was driving me crazy until I figured it out. Most were perfectly carbed, but about 1 in 5 would be a total gusher. I mean 3" fountain until the bottle was almost completely gone. If it was an infection it would seem that there would be some that would be semi gushers. If it was only, one I could see having a bottle that just did not get properly sanitized. But they were either perfect or major gush.

It made no sense to me until I figured it out last night. Guess what it was.............

I usually put my beer in the fridge on one of the lower shelves, but recently my wife suggested that I put it up top where it would be easier for me to get to them. Little did I know that she had a motive. It seems that the cold air comes into the fridge from the top and that she was having problems with stuff freezing up there. She was messing with the temp control, but she was turning it the wrong way and making it colder. When she could not stop the stuff freezing on the top shelf she said I cold put me beer there.

Always keep several different beers in the fridge. It seems I put the Amber Ales near the cold air outlet, so the ones in the back would get to almost freezing, and if I opened one more towards the front it was fine (but way to cold for my taste) but one from the back, that was often in there for much longer would gush upon opening. I got the temp adjusted to the right temp and problem solved. DOH.

I like this post. Just like you, whenever I come across a problem, my first response is to automatically assume a sanitation issue. Often, it's not.

Cheers :mug:

Back