Fusel Alcohols

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothreat

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 15 years off and on. About a year ago, I started again and have done about 8 batches so far. My last beer was a Two Brothers Cane and Ebel clone. It turned out okay and I enjoy it, but it has a flavor that I think is fusels. It has a burning and warming feeling that I actually kinda like. I have notice thought that if I drink two or three pints, I need to take a nap. I have never experienced this effect with other beers. I did not take any gravities (got lazy), but I suspect it is 6-7%. Is my guess at the fusels reasonable? Ha anyone else ever experienced this? What can I do to mimimize this in my next batch?

Thanks

Did you have any fermentation temp issues on this batch?

I just had a bomber of Stones DOubel Arrogant Bastard, (review here) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f117/double-arrogant-bastard-ale-92857/

To me it is full of fusels and esters, especially banana and clove...and it totally rocks!!!! Sometimes those strong and harsh flavors can work in a beer, especially a high alcohol one...if you like it, enjoy it.

THey may not truly be fusels either, they may fade with aging...Look at my never dump your beer thread...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

I would have sworn that was full of fusels as well, but after 6 moths they faded amazingly well....

It might just be a heavy alcohol brew. If I drink more than one Chimay, I get a warming feeling and want to lie down.

Higher alcohols can definite work in some beers, but shouldn't be hot and solventy. Some warming is nice, but burning isn't a pleasant sensation; not to my palate, anyway.

Jason

Back