Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Fuller's Water Profile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Monk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fuller's Water Profile

Hi Guys,

I am planning on doing a couple Fuller's brews in the near future. To prepare for them, I'm sipping LP and ESB and I've noticed these two taste almost salty.

I plan to use maris otter LME from NB ,but I think I should probably add some serious gypsum or something to the water. Anyone have any exprerience with this? In order to give myself an easy baseline, I was going to use RO water, though if anyone happens to know good additions for the municipal water in Orange County, CA, I'd be real happy to know about it.

Thanks in advance, brewdudes.

Monkey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, by the way, I'm going by these recipes: http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/Indices/16-Breweries/2398-fuller-s-the-pride-of-london

I've been reading around about Fuller's water additions and it seems they're a bit sneaky in that regard. Rascals don't mention anything in the above article.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
patto1ro
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Fuller's use the municipal water supply, which they treat. They add gypsum, amongst other things.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by patto1ro View Post
Fuller's use the municipal water supply, which they treat. They add gypsum, amongst other things.
If that's the case there'll be a good chance there's quite high levels of chalk/calcium carbonate in there. I think the fuller's Brewery is somewhere between Chiswick and Hammersmith and I seem to recall that London water tended to leave quite a deposit of limescale inside, and on the heating elements of, electric kettles.

http://imgur.com/a/UbXEl

Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Padalac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They only use 20% municipal I believe, since it so high in certain minerals. Or they cut certain minerals right down (chlorides and carbonates) and boost up the sulphates. They also use parti-gyle process and it's not really possible to reproduce the esb, London pride, golden pride or chiswick bitter beers without using partigyle also. Best bet is to check out the can you brew it episodes on the fullers beers. They get all the key info from the brewery.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
patto1ro
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padalac View Post
They only use 20% municipal I believe, since it so high in certain minerals. Or they cut certain minerals right down (chlorides and carbonates) and boost up the sulphates. They also use parti-gyle process and it's not really possible to reproduce the esb, London pride, golden pride or chiswick bitter beers without using partigyle also. Best bet is to check out the can you brew it episodes on the fullers beers. They get all the key info from the brewery.
John Keeling (head of brewing) told me they get all their water from the municipal supply. Their own well became contaminated some decades back.

I'd say that you can reproduce their beers without parti-gyling. They do sometimes brew their beers entire gyle.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Padalac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok but they do remove some chlorides, not that it will matter for most people! According to can you brew it the taste is not the same if you don't brew with partigyle, but I'll take you word for it! I suppose it depends what you consider 'cloned'. Great beers anyway good luck!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
patto1ro
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padalac View Post
Ok but they do remove some chlorides, not that it will matter for most people! According to can you brew it the taste is not the same if you don't brew with partigyle, but I'll take you word for it! I suppose it depends what you consider 'cloned'. Great beers anyway good luck!
They don't always parti-gyle. I'm looking at a photograph right now of the brewing sheet for a London Pride they brewed in May this year that was entire gyle.

Quick Reply