First competition - 2 blues!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BendBrewer

Reaction score
I entered a local AHA competition that was held over the weekend. Being new to the hobby, my goal for entering my beers was simply to garner critical feedback. If I would have won 3rd place for any of the 4 beers that I entered, I would have been thrilled to death.

To my complete surprise 2 of my beers won best of category!!!!!

Almost everything I know about brewing beer I have learned from the guys and gals here at HBT. I thank each and every one of you that has shared your knowledge and experiences. Yes, even the other noobs like me that have shared mishaps and successes.

Add two more Blue Ribbons to the HBT Club trophy case! I am still in complete shock.

Really, thank you!

Congrats! I had a similar experience with my IPA last year. Won best of show, and it was the only beer I had ever entered into a competition.

Now you just need to decide whether to hang it up and keep your perfect batting average, or enter more competitions. ;) (I chose to continue.)

I had posted this in the Favorite Recipe thread. It won the APA category.

"pushing IPA, but beer is delicious"

Well I only have 15 batches under my belt but my favorite so far was an HUB IPA clone that I attempted.

10.5# Canadian Pilsner Malt
2# Munich
1# Cara-Munich

Boiled 90 minutes

.75 oz Amarillo and .75 oz Perle - 60 minutes
1.5 oz Centennial - 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade and .5 Centennial - 10 minutes
1 oz Cascade and .5 oz Amarillo - 5 minutes

Hop tea added to Fermenter
.5 oz Amarillo + .5 oz Cascade + .5 oz Centennial in French Press for 1 hour.
Repeat with new hops for 1 hour

Dry Hopped with .5 oz Amarillo + .5 oz Cascade + .5 oz Centennial

O.G. - 1.061
F.G. - 1.011

http://www.hopworksbeer.com/hopworks_ipa.php

Congrats. Two really tough categories. I had an APA score a 37 and not even place in our local comp, even with an honorable mention awarded!

I had posted this in the Favorite Recipe thread. It won the APA category.

"pushing IPA, but beer is delicious"

Ok, but your "homework" is to now go to the recipes database, and post them in there. That will cause the recipes to go under your avatar in the recipe pull down, too, so it'll be super easy for us to find them!
:mug:

Ok, but your "homework" is to now go to the recipes database, and post them in there. That will cause the recipes to go under your avatar in the recipe pull down, too, so it'll be super easy for us to find them!
:mug:

Will do Prof!

I very much appreciate the attention you have given to me and all the others who recently have picked up this hobby Yooper. You always seem to be there to help us new folks out. It really helps!

Will do Prof!

I very much appreciate the attention you have given to me and all the others who recently have picked up this hobby Yooper. You always seem to be there to help us new folks out. It really helps!

That's a nice thing to say! I appreciate it.

Either that, or I have to get a life. I'm not sure how to take that! ;)

Seriously, I'm so happy that you did so well in competition. As was said earlier, those are hard categories and so it's quite an accomplisment!

Congrats BB, I'm guessing that is was the Oregon Gardens Brewfest. I took a gold and a silver as well. Had to work so I didn't get out to enjoy the festivities though.

Back