A few more questions from me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
I JUST finished bottling my 4th batch. I was experimenting with peach puree in a cream ale extract kit from northern brewer. Last batch I experimented with was an amber ale extract kit that I added a pound of honey into the boil. It turned out ok, but the worst batch so far has a kind of alcoholy taste to it. I think this is because it fermented mainly at 78 degrees or so. I live in Arizona and it stays about 80-85 (sometimes as high as 90) in the house depending on when we are there. I have it in a tote, with water, ice and ice packs and a fan on it. Most everyday it was around 72-76. It was in the primary for one week, and then moved to a secondary to rack on peach puree for another week. At the bottom of my secondary wasn't sludge, but a rather strange looking haze. I was expecting the fermentation to take off again pretty hard after putting it into secondary, and it very slowly bubbled. The fermentation has stopped so I am moving to bottling. Is it normal to have haze after using puree? I know fruit has sugars that the yeast metabolizes, but it didnt look anything like malt extract sludge.

I always wash my bottles and rinse after every beer, and rinse before putting in the dishwasher. My girlfriend put some rinse-aid in the dishwasher. What is this going to do to my bottles? I cannot get it out of the dishwasher (totally forgot about it) and after bottling everything it just dawned on me that it was in there. Also, if you bottle right out of the dishwasher, and the bottles are warm, should I wait for them to cool? I understand that maybe cold beer + hot/warm bottle can crack, but does it effect the quality of the beer?

I tasted it before bottling (of course) and I have a feeling it is going to turn out good, but I was basically just asking for any input/advice/experiences with what I mentioned above. I only used 1 14 oz can of Oregon fruit puree, so there is a slight peach aroma and it just sweetened the beer a little bit.

Thanks!!

. . . . . . It was in the primary for one week, and then moved to a secondary to rack on peach puree for another week. At the bottom of my secondary wasn't sludge, but a rather strange looking haze. I was expecting the fermentation to take off again pretty hard after putting it into secondary, and it very slowly bubbled. The fermentation has stopped so I am moving to bottling. Is it normal to have haze after using puree? I know fruit has sugars that the yeast metabolizes, but it didnt look anything like malt extract sludge. . . . . .
!!

Another couple of weeks should have cleared it more, what was the final gravity?

Back