New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Drinking flat IPA tonight :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Papinquack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Drinking flat IPA tonight :(

This is my first real screw up since starting homebrewing. I made the mistake of priming my IPA and then putting in the basement in this friggin cold weather, (Whatever happened to global warming anyway?). I put it in flip totes and placed it on 4 inch thick pad thinking it would be ok. I checked one at two weeks and thought the miracle makers were just sluggish due to being chilly so I gave them a shake and moved it upstairs. After another week still FLAT! It tastes good but I miss the magic...........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Swirl 'em a little and keep 'em warmer.

Yeast don't die in cold temps, they go to sleep.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Papinquack
Recipes 

I'm pretty pissed about the temperature control issues I'm having in this new house. Next winter I'll know better! Maybe I'll look into lagering, but my basement temp. fluctuates based on the temp outside so that may be a problem?. I removed My Irish Stout from the flip totes and put them and 1 case of my IPA infront of heater vent and placed a blanket around the sides and back I'm hoping this will help. How long will yeast lie dormant before theres real problems?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
SkewedBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Is it possible to just move them to somewhere that's consistently warmer? IMHO, in front of the heat vent is probably fine, however something more constant might be better. They should start doing their thing a little after warming back up. Check another bottle again in a few days and I'm sure you'll start to see signs of carbonation.

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Papinquack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkewedAle View Post
Is it possible to just move them to somewhere that's consistently warmer? IMHO, in front of the heat vent is probably fine, however something more constant might be better. They should start doing their thing a little after warming back up. Check another bottle again in a few days and I'm sure you'll start to see signs of carbonation.
I've got them in the wamest room in the house. I've placed my thermometer in one of the cases to monitor what temp. I'm able to maintain.

Quick Reply