Do yeast fly well?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BorisLobb, wow! THANK YOU!

I think this solves a lot of problems, mainly the transportation of smack packs in the cargo hull (and vials if I should feel the urge to try those yeast).

So all I have to do is ensure that they have a bit of insurance policy for the few hour wait either landing or taking off...

So now, here's the final question: What can I put the yeast in/next to to give them a buffer against winter extremes? My mom is flying from Vermont to Chicago to Tokyo. Both Vermont and Chicago are notorious for their extreme cold temperatures.

...This way I also avoid paying $290 to ship...ouch...

And, are you really a aerospace engineer? Mega props on that one!

I used to work for a major engine manufacturing company where I did modelling of the secondary air systems on some of their engines.

When is your mom flying? If it's still in the fall you should be fine, if it's the middle of winter and it's below freezing outside then I'd try and find a way to insulate it somehow...

She's flying December 26th. Probably cold and busy, so there's a chance of extended exposure...

Take it from someone who flies a lot. As long as the liquid doesn't show up as flammable on the xray screen, nobody is gonna care. BTW, jameson's goes through pretty well in a travel sized 'shampoo' container.
B

Jameson's goes through pretty well in the airplane bottles they come in too.

Chap, if you could post an update on that, it would be ubber awesome.

Best of luck to you on that

Well I am going to be no help. We were removed from our flight to Oki on the 4th due to some complications with our pets. During all the chaos and stress I forgot all about the yeast. It has been sitting in my suitcase since then :(

An update: I had 5 packages of dry yeast that sat in a suitcase in a hotel and on several airplane flights (San Diego, Seattle, Tokyo, Okinawa) for approx 6 days total (no refrigeration). Once we arrived I put it in a fridge until yesterday, ~ 30 days. Brewed an Amber Ale last night, re-hydrated and pitched a packet of the Safale S-04, 8 hours later and it is working great :ban:

Awesomeness. I'm gonna make a try at bringing some back with me myself in February. Many thanks Chap!

not to dig up a VERY old thread....BUT, its better then starting another one (search is my friend :) ) I will be flying from Pittsburgh, to Seattle, to Hawaii, out to Guam over a 2 day period. I have 3 hydro flask that I will pack with a few smack packs of my fav yeast as well as a few white labs vials, and then as many dry packs of other dry yeast S-04, S-05 etc, and an ice pack in each, and then that will be also stored in my checked baggage. Assuming that I pack enough to fill any space with the smack packs so that nothing weird happens to puncture the smack part, I think it will be just fine, but I am curious if others here who have done it has tried my idea of the hydro flask?

Back