Distillation Turbo Yeast for beer brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopstep

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried one of the yeast strains made for distillation purposes. I see some posting 16% alcohol in 24 hours wondering if this could be used for home brewing a barley wine brew.

Everything I've read points to bad results. I'd rather use an ale yeast, then re-pitch with a champagne strain than try to force the results with an over-aggressive strain.

I'm reasonably sure that it would taste like butt if you just used it for a batch. The only use I could think of is to use a good yeast until it reached its alcohol tolerance then finish a really huge beer with this stuff. Not something I would do, but I don't feel a need to brew a beer that big. There are plenty of better yeasts to pick to make a good barleywine.

edit: ACK! 1,002 posts! I didn't even see myself break 1000!

We've decided you could...but if you're really trying to build a good beer, and you put the time, money and effort into your brew, might as well use a yeast that's going to produce a drinkable product.
Distillers yeast really isn't even for making Whiskey, it's for making fuel. It tastes like ****, it will likely make you sick, and it's VERY expensive in comparison.
Give Nottingham a try, you'll not be disappointed.

As others have said... it sounds a bit crazy to risk all the ingredients needed for a barleywine on yeast.

I'd be down for some experimentation in small batches and such, but to give it a first run on 5gal of very expensive brew is not smart. I have a feeling that it would produce a fusel-y mess, but I've not used it.

Latest posts

Back