Dirty Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
So I have been out of the brewing game for a while and all my gear has been sitting in a shed. Well I opened the coffin freezer that most of it was stored in and what did I find but a cardboard box growing. Apparently gallon of water was in the freezer also and the whole thing looked like a jungle. The stainless and all. I broke out a spray bottle and a lot of bleach and began spraying. A gallon of bleach and 2 gallons of water later everything was covered and soaking. I took all the small components and put them in a keg and soaked then in a bleach water mix overnight. Nasty is all I can say tonight I pulled the kegs apart and every pickup tube was full also. It will all be clean and ready by then end of the night and bring on the brewing. To bad I have to wait until Christmas to get the last bit of stuff I need. The agreement for me getting back into brewing is I get the burner and final bit of stuff I need from the kids for Christmas.

Good to see you're getting back into it. Good luck with your brews, and I hope you don't have too hard of a time getting all your stuff back together! :)

If you want to get it REALLY clean, since bleach can only do so much, purchase some PBW. Follow the instructions on it (I think it's about 1oz/gallons of water) fill your equipment to the brim with that and hot water, and let it soak for about 45 minutes. That stuff does miracles and it can make nearly any mess into a brand new pot or fermenter!

I plan on getting pbw and some idofor also. I just wanted the junk puffy of it for now

westo2 said:
Star san is used for sanitizing, not cleaning. Stick with the PBW/Oxyclean, rinse well and then hit with the star san afterwards. One of the homebrew books states it best: You can't sanitize dirt.

westo2 is dead on. Cleaning and sanitising are two separate steps and need different products. If you don't start with clean surfaces, all the Star San in the world isn't going do to ****e.

I use 1.5ozs of PBW per gallon of water to soak things clean. It'll get the mold to float away in no time,leaving clean surfaces. Great stuff for serious cleaning. A light brushing or swipe with a soft cloth will do the rest on the softened gunk. Then rinse with hot water & sanitize. I like Starsan,it's the best for no rinse sanitizing!

Thanx guys that really helps I'm pretty new to brewing and learning fast I've been using oxyclean for the most part and starsan just before I brew my last batch tasted great and I had no mold so far so good

Back