New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Decent corded thermometer??? (and a rant to start)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post

When I mash, I open it up and give it a stir every 10 minutes or so. I find that after stirring, the temp will vary a bit, maybe a degree or two, but nothing that ever got me worried. I'm still a total noob at brewing, particularly AG, so should I be stirring the mash, or should I just leave it alone during the mash?

I say leave it be. I don't think stirring accomplishes anything, provided you stirred it really well at the beginning. What I do is pre-heat, dump my pre-heat, add about 80% of my mash water at 3-4 degrees above my calculated strike temp, dump my grain, stir like hell and close it up. After 10 minutes, I open up and stir again, check the temp, then adjust with hot/cold water to my desired strike. Then I close it up and forget about it for 45m-1 hour. No stir after doughing-in really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Wow, that thermometer looks really nice... Definitely over my quite modest student budget right now though. The thermapen is more than I really want to spend right now in fact.
You can def. get away cheaper thermometer, main difference is how long you have to wait for a solid reading. My taylor takes 20-30 seconds to stabilize, thermapen takes 2-3 seconds. I decided I don't really need a reading that quickly...since I only take about 5-10 readings during my process anyway (I have a temp gauge on my BK that I can read my strike and sparge temps on).

Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
PuckX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Honestly dude, stick with mercury. Nothing is more accurate. I tried to get all fancy with digital thermometers, or even the Brewmometers that screw into the valves. Those things equaled up to nothing but inaccurate readings, off temp mashes, etc... Went back to the old tried and true, and have been spot on since. Sometimes simplicity is the better option, just my opinion anyway.

Hellbilly Brewing

max384 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckX View Post
Honestly dude, stick with mercury. Nothing is more accurate. I tried to get all fancy with digital thermometers, or even the Brewmometers that screw into the valves. Those things equaled up to nothing but inaccurate readings, off temp mashes, etc... Went back to the old tried and true, and have been spot on since. Sometimes simplicity is the better option, just my opinion anyway.
Mercury hasn't been used in thermometers in some time you know.

My biggest issue with liquid thermometers is reading the damned things. With the Fluke unit, it's not an issue and the thing is damned accurate. Far more accurate than WE need.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

http://vwrlabshop.com/vwr-waterproof-thermometers/p/0013422/

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

People Like This 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I also have compression fittings that will allow you to insert a remote probe through the wall of a cooler to keep the cord out of the liquid completely.

http://youtu.be/lXRj9CVwIfY?t=1m23s

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!
People Like This 
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
BigRedHopHead
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Dang! wish i had seen Bobby M's cooler fittings with the CND thermometer before I bought the Thermapen. Nice job!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Yup, Mountaintop. If you want a good electronic thermometer and don't mind shelling out a couple hundred bucks, take a look at Weitz Instruments. They'll do what you want and will last years. I think I bought mine in 1986. It has been mashed, boiled, drowned and bounced around. One time, when my neices were young. They were out by the pool, messing around with something by the diving board. I go out to see what they were doing. They had my thermometer. It was at the bottom of the pool. I asked what they were doing? They said they wanted to make sure the water was warm enough before they let the dog go swimming. They stuck the sensors in the ports, held on to the sensor end and threw the meter in the pool. It is still as accurate as the day I bought it. The one I have, has 2 plug in sensors. The sensor wire is hermetically sealed into the capsule and is liquidproof from -100to 500 F. Each sensor wire is 10 feet long. I put one sensor in the mash tun and one in the decoction kettle and keep the meter out of the way. The sensor is about an inch long. They aren't the meat spear type as the one in the picture. I bought mine from Meier Refrigeration Supply off Hazle behind Nardones. Like I said, they're pricey, but they're rugged.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I use one of the fittings like Bobby_M sells for the assembly that I have on my plate chiller output side.

Since the probe for my sensor is about 4" long it goes deep enough into the setup to give me good temperature readings.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
max384 Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I think I'll try to waterproof one of the corded ones and be more careful about not submerging it for now. Hopefully this will make it last a bit longer. I'll eventually buy a more expensive one... Just not right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
Yup, Mountaintop. If you want a good electronic thermometer and don't mind shelling out a couple hundred bucks, take a look at Weitz Instruments. They'll do what you want and will last years. I think I bought mine in 1986. It has been mashed, boiled, drowned and bounced around. One time, when my neices were young. They were out by the pool, messing around with something by the diving board. I go out to see what they were doing. They had my thermometer. It was at the bottom of the pool. I asked what they were doing? They said they wanted to make sure the water was warm enough before they let the dog go swimming. They stuck the sensors in the ports, held on to the sensor end and threw the meter in the pool. It is still as accurate as the day I bought it. The one I have, has 2 plug in sensors. The sensor wire is hermetically sealed into the capsule and is liquidproof from -100to 500 F. Each sensor wire is 10 feet long. I put one sensor in the mash tun and one in the decoction kettle and keep the meter out of the way. The sensor is about an inch long. They aren't the meat spear type as the one in the picture. I bought mine from Meier Refrigeration Supply off Hazle behind Nardones. Like I said, they're pricey, but they're rugged.
Wow. That's quite a personal testament to the quality of that thermometer. It's too rich for my blood at this point. Maybe once I finish school I might look into something that spendy. I definitely believe that quality costs money (in most cases)... But you've gotta have the money first to get the quality!

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
globe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I also have compression fittings that will allow you to insert a remote probe through the wall of a cooler to keep the cord out of the liquid completely.

http://youtu.be/lXRj9CVwIfY?t=1m23s

What size hole do you drill for the cooler one?

Quick Reply