Craft Beer Industry Enjoys Resurgence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
Craft Beer Industry Enjoys Resurgence
[SIZE=-2]Staff and agencies
27 March, 2006
[/SIZE]

By CLARKE CANFIELD, 54 minutes ago

PORTLAND, Maine - Like most small breweries, Gritty McDuff‘s went through a lull as sales of craft beer leveled off in the late 1990s. Now Gritty‘s and the craft beer industry as a whole are enjoying a resurgence, with sales growing at their fastest pace in a decade.

At Gritty McDuff‘s, production last year rose nearly 30 percent to more than 250,000 gallons.

The 1990s were a boom time for the industry, with sales rising fast and even doubling in 1994. But growth slowed by the end of the decade, and hundreds of microbreweries and brewpubs went out of business.

"I think we‘ve learned that the beer industry doesn‘t have to grow in leaps and bounds, that it will grow steadily and slowly," Stebbins said.
But for consumers who demand more variety, there are craft beers. These beers, in general, are made with malted wheat or barley — without corn, rice or sugar adjuncts — and include ales, bocks, stouts, marzens, porters and other styles that can be light or dark in color and are typically more complex in taste.

<snip>

The rest of the article can be read here:

http://localnewsleader.com/jackson/stories/index.php?action=fullnews&id=165076

:ban:

Good news indeed. I figured when Americans started enjoying good beer the demand would increase. I think we are at the point of no return now. We know what we like and we want to be able to get it.:mug:

Huh, how about that. We went to a wedding in Maine last year, and when we drove into Portland to pick up someone at the airport our next day, we decided to stop somewhere for a beer. So we randomly walked into Gritty McDuff's!

Then when we went to the reception (in a small town that was a solid hour drive away) they were setting up some kegs, we asked where they came from...Gritty McDuff's!

Back