Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macbeer43

Reaction score
I made a dogfish 60min clone...Strange I had bottled it on 4/3...I had one last week only in fridge a couple hrs..it was awesome...I had one yesterday seems flavor diminished slightly...does beer go thru different changes at different times?

Dogfish Head Inspired DIPA (Mr. Beer-sized batch)

3 lbs Golden Light DME
1 lb Sparkling Amber DME

60 minute boil
.25 oz Columbus @ 60'
.5 oz Amarillo @ 20'
.5 oz Simcoe @ 20'
.33 oz Columbus @ 5'
.33 oz Amarillo @ 5'
.33 oz Simcoe @ 5'

.5 oz Amarillo Dry Hopped
.5 oz Simcoe Dry Hopped

Ferment with one pack US-05

It does change over time, but not that quickly. Maybe you just prefer it a little warmer. Temperature does impact flavor. You said the first beer you had was only in the frige a couple hours.

It does change over time, but not that quickly. Maybe you just prefer it a little warmer. Temperature does impact flavor. You said the first beer you had was only in the frige a couple hours.
last night, i was drinking the second bottle i've had of vienna lager that i recently bottled. the beer had this endless head and a nice toasty malt aroma. however, when i tried it the first time a couple days before, i noticed a small head and sulfur aroma followed by light spicy hops that quickly dissipated.

the difference? i think a combination of temperature and glassware foremost (the one with endless head was one of those etched glasses) and second, i took some allergy medication that cleared out my sinuses before drinking the second. i think this helped me take in a lot more of the deep aromatics.

there are lots of little things that change the experience of a beer, from glassware to your health to the last thing that you ate. of course, it could also be an infected bottle or something more sinister.

I made a dogfish 60min clone...Strange I had bottled it on 4/3...I had one last week only in fridge a couple hrs..it was awesome...I had one yesterday seems flavor diminished slightly...does beer go thru different changes at different times?

As BBL_Brewer said, try letting it warm slightly next time. That will allow more aromatics to escape and will numb your tongue less (both of which lead to a more flavorful experience.)

Two other things:
1) IPAs become less hoppy with time. And since that's pretty much a DIPA's defining characteristic, drink that beer while it's fresh.
2) It's possible that your second bottle had more oxidation damage.

As BBL_Brewer said, try letting it warm slightly next time. That will allow more aromatics to escape and will numb your tongue less (both of which lead to a more flavorful experience.)

Two other things:
1) IPAs become less hoppy with time. And since that's pretty much a DIPA's defining characteristic, drink that beer while it's fresh.
2) It's possible that your second bottle had more oxidation damage.

Adding to #1, the dry hopping aroma will recede very quickly.

Ok thx...I'll keep trying them over the next couple of months see how they turn out.

Back