Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Colorado Beer Law

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #21
RDWHAHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The "lot that can be lost" is the fact that current CO laws have allowed micros to flourish. The additional retail locations may or may not improve their bussiness. It's hard to predict. I happen to agree with the micros that it will not help. I could be wrong, but it is not worth the gamble.

We have it pretty good here. Don't throw a big unkown into a good thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
Obelisk
Recipes 

If I could get micro beer at Costco or King Soopers, I wouldn't have any need to go to a liquor store. I think that's the major concern for most of the independent liquor stores. I can't remember the last time I bought something at a 7-Eleven. I couldn't believe the wine selection in the Costco's in California. I don't think they would hesitate to carry the more prominent micro beers and I'm sure that would show up in the sales at the independents.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #23
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

They should do it like Indiana.

In Indiana convenience stores and groceries can carry any kind of liquor, but are prohibited from refrigerating their beer. This allows liquor stores to corner the market on cold beer. This might sound insignificant but I assure you it is not. 9 times outta 10 folks will go to an LQ for cold beer over a supermarket for warm beer (and not as good a selection).

Another curious thing I noticed from reading this thread is that CO doesn't have chain LQs. Indiana is just the opposite. I can think of maybe 3 or 4 quality LQs that are not part of a LQ chain (Payless, 21st Amendment, Crown, and United Package Liquors are the chains). And then another aspect that helps the craft and microbrews out tremendously in IN is that we our distribution is dominated by independent distributors. It can be absolute Hell for the LQ to keep track of which distributor carries which craft beer, but the positive is that no matter how obscure or rare the beer is that you are trying to get you can almost always guarantee that one of the distributors that specialize in micro and craft brews will have what you need.

In short Indiana is a fantastic place to live if you love micro and craft beers. The only drawback is no alcohol sales on Sunday. But you can DRIVE to a bar and get wasted on Sunday and then DRIVE home.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #24
PatientZero
Recipes 

I think most people can understand that this isn't a black and white issue. If it were, nobody would be arguing right now. The fact of the matter is, though, that Safeway and 7-11 aren't going to have a huge selection because they aren't going to do this for the customer, they are going to do it to increase their profit margin. If somebody wants a BMC, then they could get it. If they want a local micro, all they have to do is say "I'm sorry sir, we don't carry that" and walk away.

And not that I fear change or anything, but what is wrong with the way the laws currently are? Liquor stores are open on Sunday, and that's cool. But it's not like that's going to put ANY grocery chain or gas station chain out of business. Liquor stores thrive because they sell alcohol, and ONLY alcohol. Grocery stores and gas stations don't thrive because of alcohol, they thrive because of GROCERIES AND GAS. Liquor and beer just doesn't NEED to be there.

Personally, I didn't really mind the fact that liquor stores were closed on Sundays, either. Granted, it was stupid and probably a holdover from some puritanical prohibition thing, but it's wasn't something to get irate about. You learn to plan ahead, and just stock up. People who enjoy beer don't need to go to buy beer on Sunday because chances are that they ALREADY have a fridge full of beer. ALCOHOLICS need to buy beer on Sunday because they're ALCOHOLICS. They ran out of their 24 case the night before and need a new 24 case to polish off tonight. This isn't a fight to put micros on store shelves. It's a fight for DRUNKS to be able to buy full strength Bud Light at a King Soopers. Doesn't anybody else see that?

And why do people think that it will be better for "one-stop shopping" or convenience? Generally speaking, if you walk into a gas station or a grocery store, there is a liquor store LESS THAN A BLOCK AWAY. And even if the law gets passed, those liquor stores (which may or may not be in business at that point) will have a better selection anyways.

AND...this isn't something that Coloradoans wants. It's something that people from other states want. And if the state isn't exactly like home, well, by golly gee, we'd better CHANGE that. Pfffft.....go back to California.

I don't understand why we can't all just agree that I'm brilliant and this is really what's going on

Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, firecrackers, ya stick 'em in mailboxes, you drop 'em in toilets, shove 'em up bullfrogs asses.

Just is.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #25
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
In short Indiana is a fantastic place to live if you love micro and craft beers. The only drawback is no alcohol sales on Sunday. But you can DRIVE to a bar and get wasted on Sunday and then DRIVE home.
Is this a joke? Why would you want to drive home?
Kegged: Empty :-(

Old 02-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #26
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If anybody is interested in reading what the brewers/liquor store owners and the convenience store owners are actually giving for their reasons, rather than just speculating as to what they are saying, read this: http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2010/02/08/daily46.html

Simple internet searches can provide answers, so why speculate as to what the parties' reasons are?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #27
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBayBrewing View Post
I think he is just pointing out how silly it is you can't buy booze on Sunday.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #28
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check these out too.

http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/Daily/Pages/ND0209105.aspx

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20100209/BUSINESS/100209002/1046/business/Full-strength-beer-at-convenience-stores-likely-to-pass-say-traditional-store-owners

From reading these articles and the text of HB10-1186 the argument for the bill is one of fairness in business generally. You can't really look at it as just an issue of what is best for the craft brew industry in CO. The CO general assembly has a duty to pass laws that promote fairness in business generally and that do not provide unfair competitive advantages to some businesses. Here, the argument was that it used to be fair to limit c-stores to 3.2 alcohol because they were allowed to sell on Sunday where Liquor stores were not, and could therefore make up their sales on Sunday that they lose the rest of the week because they don't have full strength beer. Now that Liquor stores can be open on Sunday, there is no reason anybody would ever buy 3.2 beer at a c-store if full strength is available at all the same times. The argument is that this gives liquor stores an unfair competitive advantage to the detriment of c-stores.

Like it or not, the solution that is proposed is to just let both sell full strength beer and the market will sort out who lives and who dies. That's the essence of fairness.

On the flip-side, maybe they need to repeal the law that prevents liquor stores from operating as chains, but I doubt the independent liquor stores would want that either. Maybe they should go back to not selling on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

I find this all very interesting anyway. In CT, c-stores can't sell any kind of alcohol ever. They just operate as convenience stores that aren't very convenient if the thing you want is alcohol.

Last edited by BackBayBrewing; 02-19-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #29
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBayBrewing View Post
It was most definitely a joke. The idea of not allowing alcohol sales except for in restaurants and bars on Sundays is a joke. In fact a large majority of alcohol-related accidents and deaths in Indiana occur on Sundays as a direct result of these stupid "Blue Laws" as they call them.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #30
BackBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWHAHB View Post
I think he is just pointing out how silly it is you can't buy booze on Sunday.
That makes sense... Sorry I didn't pick up on that.

Quick Reply