Cold Break / Yeast Washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrew3r

Reaction score
I just brewed my first electric batch - my fifth total; I got hooked quickly - and I am wondering if I should change part of my process. I have a one kettle system with a plate chiller from duda-diesel. With a basin of ice water this is getting the wort down to under 80* in less than 15 minutes and going straight into a carboy. One of the reasons I went this route is I like that the wort chills straight into the carboy without really any added work of moving it around. I've moved a full volume boil off a propane burner to elevation high enough to run the chiller and burned myself pretty good, so I like how this has worked so far. With the chugger pump that's in the mail, it'll work excellent I think.

I'm getting a good cold break, which goes straight into the carboy. I've read through several of the threads about cold break; the consensus seems to be that it doesn't make much of a difference - if at all - on clarity or taste whether you keep it out of the fermentation vessel or not. This batch is a Rogue Dead Guy clone and I'm using Pacman yeast. As this stuff is expensive and has to be shipped, I'm hoping to wash it and store it after I transfer to secondary. My question is whether the cold break will adversely effect washing and storing the yeast. Does it matter? The kettle has a bazooka hop strainer installed, which I believe does a pretty good job of catching the hops, so that shouldn't really be getting in the trub cake too much.

Should I transfer to another carboy to eliminate the cold break?

Thanks!

- First post, but big reader -

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

I should note, the carboy picture is only about 10 minutes after cooling into the carboy, so its not fully settled yet.

I tend wash to get rid of hop material but there is some evidence that you don't need to wash at all if you're not looking for long-term storage. Google for woodlandbrew's blog posts titled "yeast washing exposed" and "yeast washing revisited".

Back