Chocolate Banana Stout - Adding the Bananas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo-snail

Reaction score
I'm in the process of creating a chocolate banana stout. The recipe is just a typical chocolate stout, which I will add puréed bananas to within the next few days. The fermentation is pretty much done at this point.

I have two fermentation vessels: a 6.5g bucket and a 6.5g glass carboy. The beer is currently in the 6.5g bucket, and I'm considering racking to the carboy as a secondary on top of the banana purée. I expect a second round of fermentation from the bananas. Will prolonged contact with the banana cause any issues? If so, I could banana in the primary and condition in the carboy. Also wondering if I should repitch some of the yeast I could gather from the trub if I use the carboy for a banana secondary.

Any thoughts?

The recipe:
9 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Crystal 80L
0.75 lbs Chocolate Malt (350 SRM)
0.5 lbs Roasted Barley (300 SRM)

Hops: 1.5 oz EKG (5%) @ 60 minutes

0.5 lbs Cocoa Powder @ flameout
1 lbs Lactose @ flameout

10-15 bananas sanitized with vodka and puréed into the secondary.

If you search for it you will find your answer. Many people have racked onto frozen bananas with great results. I think Yoopers also did a banana wine which might be sort of helpful. I say rack onto frozen ripe bananas and let it go until it tastes amazing.

What yeast did you use? I'd be curious to what a Hefeweizen or Bavarian Wheat Ale yeast would do for banana flavor instead of just adding bananas.

What yeast did you use? I'd be curious to what a Hefeweizen or Bavarian Wheat Ale yeast would do for banana flavor instead of just adding bananas.

I was thinking the same thing, or maybe doing both.

At any rate, this sounds tasty. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I used WLP005. I considered using hefe yeast, but for my first attempt at this beer, I wanted to avoid the possibility of the hefe yeast throwing cloves as well as the banana. I will document the banana-ing process for the forum here. Didn't take much pictures of brew day, as it's a fairly straightforward stout.

I actually pureed the bananas before adding them to the fermenter after primary fermentation was mostly done. It seems like the WLP005 I used went dormant or something, as it never really fermented the bananas and when I bottled it, the carbonation never really showed up. The banana, having not fermented kinda went stale. It wasn't terribly good beer. I've put away a 12 pack to cellar for a while and see if it improves. I think if I do it again, I'd use a different yeast.

Latest posts

Back