Chest Freezer and my electric bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhopper

Reaction score
I understand that we all live in different places where electricity costs different but I live in the Central Valley of California where PG & E rules our lives. I just got a chest freezer and a temp control and just wanted to get a feel for how much I can expect on my electric bill. Again, I understand all areas of the country are different. If any of my Central Valley neighbors or any of my other fellow Americans can help me out with this I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks:eek:

Is it new? All new appliances have a energy rating on them, yellow sticker, that includes a yearly energy consumption rating on them. Even if it is semi old, you could check around for new ones at Lowe's or something to see what is similar. For a freezer it is rated at freezing temps 0 degrees usually so if you are letting it sit between 33-70 you should fair better than posted.

Do a Google search for Kill A Watt. It is a device you plug in between the wall outlet and appliance. Leave it for a month and see how many KWH it uses, then you will know for sure. They cost $29-39.

I just did a google search on this, the site i found said that a 25 square foot only costs around 52 dollars a year to run if its a brand new unit. I never would have thought they would cost so little to power. Just think how low they would be with a temperature control unit installed.

Do a Google search for Kill A Watt. It is a device you plug in between the wall outlet and appliance. Leave it for a month and see how many KWH it uses, then you will know for sure. They cost $29-39.

If these are the things that lower the voltage after it starts DO NOT run your appliance on it. It will shorten the life of the motor. PERIOD.

If these are the things that lower the voltage after it starts DO NOT run your appliance on it. It will shorten the life of the motor. PERIOD.

A Kill-a-watt just measures the amps + volts + time and gives you kWH or watts used.

A Kill-a-watt just measures the amps + volts + time and gives you kWH or watts used.

These work good for measuring. You don't need it hooked up for a month either - a couple of days to get the averages are fine.

I have two of them that I've been moving around the house to try and find what is sucking up my power so much. One big surprise is my subwoofer. It costs more than my refridgerator, freezer and kegerator put together. Time for a new sub or just use it when I want to play a good movie.

Latest posts

Back