Cherry Hill, NJ brewers...where are you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I'm looking for some other home brewers out there in the NJ area. I'm moving to Cherry Hill in the next few months and would like to meet some new people in the area.

I left that area to move to nc but you are right at flying fish brewery
Score for you

There are plenty of home brewers in the area. There is a good LHBS very nearby in Westmont. There also is a brew club in the area.

When you move here check them out.

I live in Mansfield, about half an hour north of Cherry Hill.

The brew club meets at iron hill I'm maple shade. The last time I went to a barley legal meeting, before I moved, there was probably 40-50 guys there.

I'm in lumberton, about 15 minutes away and a member of barley legal club too. Great club with plenty of participation at the events. Philly rocks for craft beer too, and you wont be far at all from there.

I know it's been a few months, but I'm getting settled in my home in CH. I haven't checked out the LHBS in Westmont but it's on the short list. I managed to drink most of my brew before moving from Michigan, so sorry. But I do have a few bottles of Chocolate Oatmeal stout and 1 bottle of Blonde Ale left. So, if anybody has some time in the afternoon this week, I'm more than happy to introduce myself and share a brew or two.

In Southampton (between Medford and Tabernacle). I am new to home brewing, started in April and I just bottled my first all grain brew last night. Brewed a black IPA. I made some mistakes, learned a lot about fly sparging, but it seemed to work out ok. I did two dry hop infusions, using cascade hops. I'll be kegging soon enough, but I do like having bottles to share.

I go to Philly Homebrew Outlet, they are in either Fishtown or Kensington, a few blocks from W. Girard and Frankford. Great guys there, and they have a great assortment of hops and yeast. I'd love to check out the barley legal, but they're meetings are on Tuesday evenings which is my evening shift at work.

I do hope to hook up with other local brewers in the area. Have a great rest of the summer!
ken

In Southampton (between Medford and Tabernacle). I am new to home brewing, started in April and I just bottled my first all grain brew last night. Brewed a black IPA. I made some mistakes, learned a lot about fly sparging, but it seemed to work out ok. I did two dry hop infusions, using cascade hops. I'll be kegging soon enough, but I do like having bottles to share.

I go to Philly Homebrew Outlet, they are in either Fishtown or Kensington, a few blocks from W. Girard and Frankford. Great guys there, and they have a great assortment of hops and yeast. I'd love to check out the barley legal, but they're meetings are on Tuesday evenings which is my evening shift at work.

I do hope to hook up with other local brewers in the area. Have a great rest of the summer!
ken

Hey Ken I believe you are the same Ken from the class on Sunday the Black IPA gave it away LOL
It's Kevin from the all grain class. Funny after doing that Honey Saison I and the kid I came with went home and brewed an APA finished up around 9 pm

I am going to be checking out the club they run out of PHBS on the 16th and see how that is...

Hey Ken I believe you are the same Ken from the class on Sunday the Black IPA gave it away LOL
It's Kevin from the all grain class. Funny after doing that Honey Saison I and the kid I came with went home and brewed an APA finished up around 9 pm

I am going to be checking out the club they run out of PHBS on the 16th and see how that is...

Yep, that's me. Lemme know how the 16th goes, I'd love to be there but I'm driving up to Boston that afternoon. If you brewed until 9pm that made that a pretty long day! Hope it turned out well. Here's what I'm going to brew next, shooting for the weekend of the 25th as I'm out of town most every other weekend.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/tits-up-imperial-ipa-3-time-medalist-2-golds-1-silver-92914/

I'll be getting the grain bill together soon, love the big hoppy beers.

Again lemme know how the 16th was, I should be there in September.
ken

Yep, that's me. Lemme know how the 16th goes, I'd love to be there but I'm driving up to Boston that afternoon. If you brewed until 9pm that made that a pretty long day! Hope it turned out well. Here's what I'm going to brew next, shooting for the weekend of the 25th as I'm out of town most every other weekend.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/tits-up-imperial-ipa-3-time-medalist-2-golds-1-silver-92914/

I'll be getting the grain bill together soon, love the big hoppy beers.

Again lemme know how the 16th was, I should be there in September.
ken

Sounds good I'll let you know how it all goes. I'm going to look the recipe over as IPA's are my weakness lol. I am going to do 2 kits coming up pretty soon a black IPA and a milk stout just to get a good amount of beer in the house then start on some things I can age a bit.

The brew club meets at iron hill I'm maple shade. The last time I went to a barley legal meeting, before I moved, there was probably 40-50 guys there.

We (Barley Legal) meet on the first Tuesday of every month, 7pm in the back dining room at Iron Hill Maple Shade (although this month we met at the new Flying Fish brewery in Somerdale).

http://www.barleylegalhomebrewers.com/

My fiancee and I are moving to Cherry Hill from Philly in about a month so I figured I would revive this thread. Buying a house means I can expand my brewery (after recovering from the financial hit), can't wait!

I'm still learning the area but I think the the house is considered to be in Ashland.

My fiancee and I are moving to Cherry Hill from Philly in about a month so I figured I would revive this thread. Buying a house means I can expand my brewery (after recovering from the financial hit), can't wait!

I'm still learning the area but I think the the house is considered to be in Ashland.

OP here. I'm about 5 minutes from the Ashland Patco station, in Cherry Hill. When you're in town, or you've made a home decision, PM me. I'd be more than happy to bring a few brews and help you unload some of the heavy stuff. I have some IPAs and an "Ale-toberfest" ready to go. Good luck on the house hunting.

Bumping this thread because I'll be moving to Cherry Hill a week from tomorrow! Is anyone growing hops in Cherry Hill? I have a bunch of rhizomes to plant at the new house and could use some advice on the local soil.

I'm growing hops. I dug out about 14 inches down and replaced all the clay, because there is A LOT of it, with topsoil and manure mix. The two rhizomes outside are doing fine. I just have to keep the critters away from chewing them up.

Yeah I've heard about the clay in cherry hill. Are you doing a trellis? I want to plant the rhizomes right away and build a trellis a couple of weeks later.

Did you need to get a permit for the trellis? I want to build mine soon but I'm afraid I might need a permit before starting since it's so tall. I finally got my hops in the ground on Monday. They were in 5gal buckets until I could get the garden ready.

I just got confirmation from the township that I don't need a permit for my trellis. Can't wait to get started!

I finally got motivated enough to take a picture of the completed trellis. It's around 8.5 feet tall with a flower box in front. I have 4 eye-hooks in the top, so I can tie off my hop twine. Overall, it took me 1.5 full days of work but it was totally worth it.

trellis.jpg

I live in South Jersey, North Jersey transplant, any way.. there is a LHBS in Berlin, (some 30-35 mins from Cherry Hill). near where i live.

http://www.kegandbarrelhomebrewsupply.com/

2 South Route 73, Berlin, NJ 08009

the people are nice.. have helped me out plenty of times, few times.. just to go in and chat..

Latest posts

Back